not a 208 : its a 203 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2004, 11:51 AM
chevy1

not a 208 : its a 203

sorry guys my fault but i crawled under my truck for more investigation.i actual pulled the tag off of the transfer.looking in from the fender well the 3 looked like an 8.also i thought it was alum. but i only looked at the output shafts housings.i scrathed paint from the main body stuck a magnet to it.low and behold it's cast iron.MY FAULT EARLIER!!! SORRY for the false info earlier.also other dead give aways since i've been looking for answers.flat sides on the shifter handle in the cab,dual shift rods from the shifter to the case and a cast iron body.it still has the 2:01 ratio but this case isn't as reliable as the 208 is it.give me som info guys. [img]images/graemlins/spank.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2004, 01:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: not a 208 : its a 203

Who on earth swapped an np203 into a 1986 truck? A np205 I could see, but a 203, wtf? (that was rhetorical, I'm just amazed at the setup in your truck)

Well if you read the page about converting an np203 to part time operation, you may have gathered that it's almost as tough as the np205. IMHO the ONLY thing that the np208 has over the other two is the low range. It's an aluminum cased chain-drive unit, nothing special in it's construction, just the 2.72:1 low range. So when you ask about reliability, the 208 isn't going to handle getting dropped on a rock nearly as well as one of the cast iron cases.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2004, 01:18 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

203s are pretty worthless. 180lbs of girth with a chain in it and a pathetic low range. It's got the worst of both worlds and twice the weight of either.

208 weighs 80lbs and has a 2.61 low range. Far superior to a 203. I'd rather have a 208 in a light vehicle than a 205.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2004, 08:01 PM
chevy1

well i'm back after playing w/the transfer.first,i removed the linkages from the tc,it has an outer lever arm and a inner lever arm.some info. i got from a manual said if both lever arms were in 6'o clock position the case would be in neutral.then i move the outer lever arm and moved the frt d.shaft.it turned very free.seemed any position i put the outer lever arm in nothing changed.then i moved the inner lever arm to the front of the truck and the frt d.shaft would lock up and turn due to my hubs weren't locked in.it felt like the lever would go into two positions,4wHI and 4wLo maybe.the reason i say is because the frt d.shaft would lock up and turn in both positions.working the tc w/the shifter in the cab i could never get it to shift into 4wd.i know because i would shift the shifter get out and turn the d.shaft.i believe my whole problem my be in my shifter,so i'm going to carry it to work and clean it up in the parts washer,grease it,and reassemble it.let you know what happens afterwards.but wtf does the outer lever arm do or operate?how hard would it be to change to a 205?before my 75'was stolen it had a sm 420 backed by a 205 behind a 450hp stroker an no problems. [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 02:11 PM
Aprentice

205 conversion isnt hard at all. You just need to find the right one for your transmission with the adapter and it will bolt in. The driveshaft lengths will change though. If you get a slip yoke 205 you will either need the driveshaft for a slip yoke t-case (208, 241 are the same) or convert it to a fixed yoke output.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode