how can i identify? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2004, 11:29 PM
johnboy385

how can i identify?

I have a 1975 1/2 ton 4x4 chevy and i hear everyone talk about how it would a lot of stress on my 1/2 axels if i was to run some big tires. Well i have a friend who claims his grandpa has a 1 ton 4x4 chevy truck but the truck doesnt have a body on it. i know i can tell a 1/2 ton from a 3/4 by looking at the 6 or 8 lug axels. my question what do i need to look for to tell if this truck is a 1 ton or a 3/4 ton if they are both 8 lug axels? he says it is a rollin chasis with tranny and transfer case but no motor or body. i just want to know what is really there before i spend some money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2004, 02:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: how can i identify?

Depending on what year it is...

A K30 (1-Ton 4x4) will have for sure a 14 bolt fully floating rear axle in the rear. In the front will be a kingpin style open knuckle Dana 60.

A K20 (3/4-Ton 4x4) of 73-80 vintage will have a 14 bolt fully floating axle in the rear. In the front will lie either a Dana 44 front axle, or a Dana 60 like those found in K30s. A K20 of 81-87 will have a 14 bolt rear axle of either fully floating or semi-floating design. The front will be a GM corporate 10-bolt.

Another unique feature of the K30s are a different spring pad width on the rear axles than on the K20s. I'm not sure the exact specifics, but that's a start.

Here's an Axle Identification Guide
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2004, 01:26 PM

Isn't the frame height another thing to look for? I know the 3/4 ton is taller than the 1/2 ton, but how about the 1 ton? I assume it is, but don't want to say so without knowing for sure. Just curious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2004, 03:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

[img]images/graemlins/goodpost.gif[/img] Possibly, if I've got time I'll measure the frames on an '84 K20 and an '82 K30 we've got at work.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2004, 08:44 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
A K30 (1-Ton 4x4) will have for sure a 14 bolt fully floating rear axle in the rear. In the front will be a kingpin style open knuckle Dana 60.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to add, the D60 will have 3 U bolts holding the front leaves instead of 4. Or you could say that on the pass side there will be one Ubolt. One side of the pass-side has the bolts running right into the center section and does not use the U bolt there. If your looking at the diff cover from the front, just below and to the right there should be a D60F marked into the housing, not the cover, right in the webbing.

If it turns out that it is a D60/14Bff combo, snag it. If you don't want to use it, you can always sell it for a good price. [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] I would get it and use it though, if your planning on running big tires and doing some wheeling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode