'Winch' one should I get? The choices... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2004, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

\'Winch\' one should I get? The choices...

I want to get a winch for my 1978 Blazer, something around the 10500 to 12000 pound rating. There are an abundance of choices, so here's the thing:

Is it better to go with worm gear or planetary gears?
Is it better to have an electric winch or an hydraulic winch?

Warn is everywhere and alot of people have them! (I seem to have seen more on Jeeps than Fullsize rigs) They are pricey for the product, yet do you get what you pay for or is it just paying for the Warn name?

Ramsey makes a winch in the 12,000 pound realm. This is a less expensive choice, but is it built with cheaper parts which may break more often?

Mile Marker winches are priced close to the Ramsey and I think MM has hydraulic winches available.

I have seen online where a Warn 12k winch is $1000 plus whereas a Mile Marker 12k winch is $550 plus. [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] That's a helluva gap!

I thought of going to the 4x4 shop to ask initially, yet I wish to have opinions of those who have used them. Not some salesman who promotes a specific brand therefore they will push that line!

Thanks guys!
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2004, 06:27 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: \'Winch\' one should I get? The choices...

I think worm gears are more stout.

Electric vs. hydro? Hydraulic winches depend on the motor running, so if your engine dies, so does your winch. If your engine died and you had an electric winch, you'd still be able to pull as long as your batteries will let you.

I've used Ramsey and MM winches, both on HMMWV's. I couldn't tell you what models they were, only know that they both did the job fine and I'm not stuck anymore.

[img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Sorry I don't have answers to all of your questions.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2004, 10:07 PM

I don't run one currently on mine yet, but the guys I ride with and look to when I need a tug mainly run Warns. One guy runs a mile marker and it does the job, just very slowly. He doesn't complain, but has been kidded that his winch must get paid by the hour!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Well, I appreciate the info you have provided. It was more than when I started this post!

I still am not sure of what one to look into. It may be 2, 6 or 12 months down the road yet I am trying to get the best tug for the buck (pardon the pun.)

I have heard that Electric winches must be allowed to 'cool down' if a long pull is in order and an hydraulic can pull for as long as you have fuel! However, yes having a hydraulic winch necessitates the motor running to work - whereas the electric would only pull for as long as you have battery power. If you have to pull yourself out of a situation - I would think it would best to plan on worst case scenerio, like pulling dead weight (no assist from the drivetrain.)

I dunno, it's six one half a dozen the other I suppose!

I welcome any further input anyone else has though!

Thanks so far!
John [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 04:38 PM

I don't have a winch, but i think i would pick electric over hydro, even if it required me to do a dual battery setup or some other electical upgrades. The idea of not being able to use the winch if the motor shuts down just doesn't seem like a good one. What if you hydrolock it in water/mud? What if you stall in water/mud and can't get it restarted? What if the reason you want to use your winch is that something just caused your motor to die?

Yes, there are situations where you could winch wiht your motor still running, but i tend to look at a winch as a last resort if you get stuck. So i would like to be able to winch my truck out even if the motor died.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 11:18 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

If you always run with a group, get a hydraulic winch. Especially if you run mud as opposed to rocks.

If you wheel by yourself, get an electric winch and run at least two large high-quality regular batteries.

I'd rather have hydraulic but I wheel by myself periodically. Therefore I have a multimount MM E12000. In my opinion, the best setup would be to have a hydraulic winch mounted on the front bumper, a PTO in the bed, and a multimount electric that can be put on the front, rear, or either side. Someday I'll end up running a multimount and then a hydraulic on the front.

Once you've seen a hydraulic winch run on a high quality pump with good valves you'll laugh at the silly Warn Jeep guys.

You only get about 10 minutes out of your batteries before they're dead or overheated.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2004, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

They all are such convincing points. We are especially concerned about heat out here (being in Phoenix, AZ) and considering Hell is probably colder, I would think an Electric may run shorter times in the summer in all actuality!

The more and more I have think about it I may lean towards the Hydraulic - Who knows!

Back a couple years ago I used to be a Tow Truck driver before going back into IT. I will say that from what I have done, a Hydraulic winch can do some stuff I didn't think possible! They ran Ramsey 15k winches at the time.

Still dunno though. I don't wheel alone most of the time. I learned that mistake early and have had my fill of hikes out to get help!

Hey Wrath, how does that 12k MM (MM meaning Mile Marker?)work for you? Does it even break a sweat?

Thanks!
John [img]images/graemlins/beach.gif[/img]

P.S I do like the idea that the Hydraulic winches are sealed so good they could be used underwater!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2004, 09:55 PM

Quote "I do like the idea that the Hydraulic winches are sealed so good they could be used underwater!"

John, Usually if your winch is underwater, your motor will most likely be as well.

I'm from Tempe and I know there are not many places around here where you will be crossing water higher than your doors. Electric winches are much easier to maintain.

In the end it's your choice so go out and get what you want then enjoy it.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2004, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

[img]images/graemlins/goodpost.gif[/img]

Yes, I do agree with the fact that there is very little water around town that would be a concern (at least to legally cross (ie. Verde River,) leaving out the lakes and such.)

I meant I was looking from the perspective of how tightly sealed it was, enough to keep out water when submerged; as I am a major mud maniac and also like the big puddles whenever possible.

I honestly still don't know for sure which one I would like to choose. Both have (excellent) pro's and yet both have cons.

I already have a dual battery set up in my Blazer, so that would be a savings if I decided on the Electric Winch.

Yet, is it still in the eye of the individual consumer on which brand would be a good winch and which one is crap?

Mile Marker, Ramsey and Warn - for an electric winch there is still a considerable price difference. Do you still use the old analogy "You get what you pay for?"

I would look for something in the 12,000lbs rating for my Blazer.

Thanks!
John
[img]images/graemlins/beach.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode