Blazer Rear Gate Question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2004, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Blazer Rear Gate Question

I was wondering if anyone has experienced any problems with the mechanism within the tailgate on a late '70's Blazer. My problem is that the gate handle (which opens the tailgate) keeps breaking the rod (inside the tailgate)which pushes to release the 'strikers' one either side of the tailgate.

This rod, from what I can see is weak by design. It is round and solid for length of the first half and then looks like it was stamped almost flat for the second half. Have you Blazer guys made your own or know of a Beefier aftermarket part?

Thanks!
John [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2004, 05:19 PM
K5Blazerman77

Re: Blazer Rear Gate Question

is yours an electric or manual rear window?

on mine which is manual ive had problems if the window is not all the way down, where u can still see the glass, the handle pulls harder and the stuff inside hits harder. mine has never broke that way, but my rollers on the window did and made the window fall off.

ive had to take that back panel off so many times. does the rods that cross in front of the window make a loud vibrating noise when you drive from hitting the panel.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2004, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Re: Blazer Rear Gate Question

My rear window is electric. I rarely drive with the rear window down because of the exhaust fumes entering the passenger compartment.

The rods that go to either side of the tailgate don't seem to hit the glass as far as I can tell.

I have the access panel off so if I need to open the tailgate I can manually grab the rods and open the gate by hand.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode