2wd to 4wd - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2004, 04:50 PM
magic2979

2wd to 4wd

i was just wondering if any one knows what i need to change my 85 2wd into a 4wd..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2004, 06:56 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: 2wd to 4wd

The easiest way is to get a 4wd truck. The changeover would be a major process, probably more trouble than its worth.
The tranny will probably need a different tailshaft. You'll need a transfer case and crossmember. Don't forget a front axle and driveshaft. Plus you'll need all of the shackle mounts, springs and such. I believe 2wd trucks have a slightly different floor pan as well, so you'll be needing to cut and bang that out of the way. The exhaust is probably going to be in the way too, depending on where the crossover is.
If it were me, I'd just go find a 4wd truck.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2004, 08:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Find a 4x4 chassis of the same configuration as your truck (i.e. shortbed, longbed, manual tranny, automatic tranny) put all your stuff on the 4x4 frame. Probably will need to install a body lift in the process to raise the transmission tunnel. (To me, seems easier than cutting the floor up and pounding on it.) Will have to notch the floor of your cab for the t-case shifter.

IMO, that would be the easiest route.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2004, 09:08 PM
Can't Get Enough

I didn't even think of a body lift, that would work great.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2004, 11:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

[img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] ...yeah, I'm about || this close to talking my dad into a similar swap at home. Been pontificating the details on a regular basis too.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2004, 02:38 PM
magic2979

how would the two wheel drive do off road if i put some real good tires on it? i dont do any extreme wheeling.. basically just trails with small rock and the occasional water pit..
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2004, 06:30 PM
Can't Get Enough

I had an 86 2wd and wheeled it all over the place. On light trails and mud it did fine. I had a 1 1/2" suspension lift in the front and ran 33" BFG Mud Terrains.
If you go that route, I'd highly recommend a locker for the rear. With 2wd, you don't have as much traction, so you'll find yourself trying to use more momentum. That in turn leads to more breakage.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2004, 10:31 PM

Like the others said, body swap it onto a 4 by frame if that is the route you want to take. That would be the most logical way. But, before thinking about that you have to consider what does the current 2wd one have for motor and body and is it even worththe hassle? If they are both good and you can get your hands on a decent 4by frame with agood tranny and transfer case I'd consider it. Just keep in mind that the body and motor are pretty much the only two things that you can use off the 2wd when going to a 4 by frame. If either are in need of help, I'd find something else better to spend my time and money on. Nothing worse than doing a big body and possible motor swap like this and ending up with 4 by components that are bad.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 02:34 PM

Being that you live in Mass. I would think you may have more difficulty finding a un-rusted 4WD rolling chassis. It may be more practical to sit down and 'price' both ways though. Money vs. Money and labor to do the swap. What is the cost if you bought another rig which is 4x4?
Is there a good enough market for your current rig to sell? With doing the body transfer I would think you may be in for more than you want (consider if your body mounts may be "rust welded" to the point of not being able to get the body off cleanly.)

Also, if you don't plan on hauling alot of stuff around, you may consider transfering just the cab and front clip and building a flatbed vs. moving over the old bed.

I was just offering some food for thought.

John

P.S. Good luck either way! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2004, 11:38 AM
magic2979

ive been looking for a rolling chasis that is in decent shape and i havent found one. my friends have been looking as well and one of my friends did find one and he paid quite a bit for it...

The thing is is even if i lift the 2wd im not sure how much trail time it will see.. but i love the look of a lifted truck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode