What's wrong with my tranny? (TH700) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2004, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

What\'s wrong with my tranny? (TH700)

I changed the fluid and filter in my tranny the other day. Ever since then it won't shift into OD and it seems like it's slipping into 2 and 3.
I already double checked the fluid type and amount, and all is good there. I must have dislodged something when I had the pan off. I'm going to drop the pan and take a look tomorrow. Does anybody have an idea of what I may have done wrong, so I know what to look for? I've done this service dozens of times and never had a problem before.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2004, 03:31 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: What\'s wrong with my tranny? (TH700)

Did you make sure that the rubber thing that goes between the filter and body is sealing good? It needs to suck fluid instead of air. Sometimes this happens and by the time someone gets to third gear they're out of enough fluid in the pan to seal the leak so then it starts sucking air.

Another thing it could be is that the new fluid ate all the varnish off the fibers.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2004, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Re: What\'s wrong with my tranny? (TH700)

Thanks. I was sick for about a week and couldn't get to it. I've pulled the pan and checked everything out and all is good inside.
I think the problem lies in the fluid level. The dealer replaced the dipstick under a recall earlier this year. I don't think the markings are the same as the original, and that caused me to not add enough fluid. So now I am adding a little bit at a time until it works right. So far it hasn't worked right.
More to follow.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode