89 GMC Jimmy suspension mods - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2004, 05:02 AM
NZ_GMC

89 GMC Jimmy suspension mods

Hey guys, i'm new here and from way down in New Zealand.
Just bought an 89 Jimmy 1/2 ton 4wd. 350TBI and TH700 trans and GM 10 bolt axles. There aren't many trucks like this down here and no one seems to be able to help with modifications and parts.

Sorry for the long post, i've searched but cant find the info I need.
I want to do a 4" susp lift and a 2" or maybe 3" body lift.
I only need a lift that uses blocks in the back as the truck will only be subjected to light offroading.
I've found some cheap Goodyear wrangler m/t 37/12.5/15 tyres that I want to run.
What do I need to do for these mods and where is the best (and cheapest)place online to find them?

what extra stuff do I need to do? brake hoses? transfer case drop? Hopefully there are bolt-on parts for everything.
Please can someone point me in the right direction before I start ordering stuff!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2004, 06:19 PM
gregmgm

Re: 89 GMC Jimmy suspension mods

Try Offroaddesign.com- -Lots of great stuff. also, ColoradoK5.com has some good forums. I assume your is a straight axle in front?....Probably you should get longer brake lines, to be safe.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2004, 07:32 PM
Can't Get Enough

You should get extended brake lines and a steering arm for a 4" lift.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2004, 10:33 PM

If you don't want to trim to fit, then yes you'll definitely have to add the 2 or 3 inches of body lift on top of the 4" suspension to fit those 37's. I currently run 36's on my trail rig Jimmy, but that is with only 4" of lift to keep me from being top heavy and significant body trimming. I am not all that keen on body lifts and wouldn't recomend over 2, but as you said, your only doing light wheeling. One thing with the Jimmy is that you'll save yourself some money with only going 4 and a body lift. Most 4" susp. systems come with brake line bracket extensions which will save you from getting longer lines. Over four and I would definitely look at longer lines. Longer lines are also better if your wheeling and flexing more, but it sounds like your not. Also, with such a short wheelbase, going over 4" in suspension may result in needing lengthened driveshafts or dropping you ransfer case. As far as steering arm, they are nice to have, but not a definite need if you are trying to cut cost. Without, you steering is limited in one direction, but it is tolerable with a shorter wheelbase. If you had a long box or something, I'd tell you to not even think twice about getting it. As far as where to get it, I have been looking for one recently for my '86 Jimmy and finding pretty good pricing from a couple different companies selling on e-bay. Just type in chevy suspension and look around. Some of the companies on there have prices that are just under $300 without shipping for a 4", but i am not sure what shipping would be for you out of the states. Anyway, didn't mean to ramble, but hopefully this helps.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2004, 08:25 AM

Sorry, the search input should have been "chevy lift". That will at least get you in contact with some manufaturers. Another one to check out that has been good to me in the past is:

http://www.4wheelparts.com/4wp/index.asp
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 03:40 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I would go with a 6" suspension lift, with the 37's. I don't like body lifts. With the 6", you should only have to do some minor fender trimming to clear the tires. There is even a chance you won;t have to trim, depeding on your useage, and the fact that you'll be running 12.50's.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2004, 07:16 AM
NZ_GMC

Thanks for all your help guys.
I have ordered a 4" suspension lift and a 2" body lift from Rough Country, as well as a few other bits to make it all work properly.
Should be good for the sort of use my truck gets.
Now i have to sit and wait for it to get here
-around 6 weeks!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2004, 10:51 AM

Good luck with it and I hope you like it once finished. Before and after picts would be nice to see also if you can post them. Also, to make the install easier, and since you have time, I'd start soaking all the body mount bolts, u-bolts, shackle bolts, shock bolts, and any others you can think of that are going to require wrenching out for the install with penetrating oil. I'd probably do it a couple times over the next few weeks to make sure they get sufficient coating and time to soak. You may have planned this already, but just thought I'd throw it out there if you hadn't. Makes for a more "pleasureable" install and it should hopefully reduce the cuss words needed for the project.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2004, 02:28 PM
NZ_GMC

My suspension parts have finally arrived!
I ended up getting a 4" rough country kit(blocks in rear) and a 3" body lift (I only wanted 2" but they didn't have them).
I've been through the instructions and it all seems fairly straight forward.
All the bolts so far are comming undone easily thanks to your advice newxjer.
The body lift instructions are a bit vague though, -should i have to lengthen the steering shaft? there is a section about cutting linkage and welding in a section but it doesn't explain what linkage?
and they explain abuut doing the bed then the cab, obviously for a Jimmy I do one complete side at a time?

With the susp lift it says to lower the transfer case using the stock hardware.
the sleeves are supposed to be on the bottom of the frame rail and it says to move them to between the rame rail and the trans case crossmember. Mine seem to already be there, is this normal? and does this mean I don't ahve to do anything?

post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2004, 05:39 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
The body lift instructions are a bit vague though, -should i have to lengthen the steering shaft? there is a section about cutting linkage and welding in a section but it doesn't explain what linkage?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have never had, nor will I ever own, a body lift, so I don't know a lot about installing one. But i thought the steering shaft had some plastic keepers that needed to be drilled out to make the shaft telescope up. I'll see if I can find a thread at another sitre that mentioned it, and if so I'll include the link.

and they explain abuut doing the bed then the cab, obviously for a Jimmy I do one complete side at a time?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it would be fine to just do one side at a time.

With the susp lift it says to lower the transfer case using the stock hardware.
the sleeves are supposed to be on the bottom of the frame rail and it says to move them to between the rame rail and the trans case crossmember. Mine seem to already be there, is this normal? and does this mean I don't ahve to do anything?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would just leave them there if they're already there. If you seem to get a vibration, then if needed you can drop it down with some 1" square tubing. Just leave it as it is, and wait to see if it becomes a problem... most likely they will work fine since the instructions say to move it there anyway.

Here is the link to that thread that mentions the steering shaft with the body lift. Feel free to ask anyone there about the body lift stuff, there are a couple of guys running small BL's there.

austink5.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode