steering whoas - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2004, 09:24 PM
grovey

steering whoas

hi, new to the board and need some direction. just bought a lifted 79 stepside , with a 84 nose it has a 6" spring lift. lift is not very old ,but i just bought it this way, and didn't have anything to do with the install on it. it rolls on 36/14.50/15 mickeys. but man this thing is a handfull to drive. backroads are scary. it wanders quite a bit! it only has a stock single steering stabiler on it. i've got alot to learn here about the do's and donts on these. what can i do to make this more drivable. it also has 8 lug axles. very cool truck real headturner. any input? thanks grovey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2004, 11:52 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: steering whoas

Put the front end on jackstands, then grab a tire and start trying to move it side to side and see what happens. You're probably going to find a lot of play in the entire steering system. All of the parts are most likely still factory, so they're worn out.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2004, 10:02 PM
grovey

Re: steering whoas

well if you add all four tires i had 51 lbs of air in them! rr was 3.5 lbs! also found and fixed front hub it had the pin smashed from being installed wrong and was screwing up the spindle threads and little piece that has the holes for the pin to lock into. drives alot better now. thanks grovey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode