Need gears & T'case - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Need gears & T\'case

Sorry to post this here, but not many people check out the want ads:
I Need 1 set of 4.09 gears and a transfercase for a 75 chevy pickup, 350 w/automatic tranny. It has an 8 lug axle (10 bolt??) in front. The PO shattered the ring gear and it snapped the chain in the T-case. Anyone know what case this is? It has no markings that I could see on it, but I believe its an NP203. Also looking for a new front d'shaft for this truck. It looks like it was a double cardan shaft. Not many pieces left.

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 10:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Need gears & T\'case

75 would probably be a D44 front and a NP203. The 203 is a full time t-case but can be converted to part time. The shift pattern would go 4loc 4hi n 4low 4low loc if that helps too.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

The front axle on this truck has lockouts on it and 8 lugs. It has the inner hub type, along with 6 - 9/16" bolts holding it onto the hub flange. The setup on the front looks like a full floater axle to me. Didn't know they made a d44 front like that. Maybe I'll get a pic of it this weekend. The tag didn't say what axle, just the gearing (45-11), and the ring gear just said Richmond and a couple numbers I didn't recognize.

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 07:03 AM

The Dana 44 was offered from '73 to '79 on the 1/2 and 3/4. From '77 to '80, both the 44 and 10 Bolt were used. After '80, it was only the 10 bolt. Dana 60 was used on some 3/4's and 1 tons between '77 and '87. If it is stock, you should have the 44. I got the 44 on my '76 Jimmy. I'll snap a pict of the dif cover on the '76 if you want and one of the 10 bolt on my '86 jimmy if that will help you determine what you have. I'll snap ones of the tranfer case too if you'd like. Just so you know, the 203 is a heavy son of a gun and has a cast housing. The 208 used from like '81 on is an aluminum housing and much easier to manhandle. But as mentioned, the shift pattern should tell you what you got, but also looking at the housing itself should help you determine what you got the steel or aluminum housing. I assume the lockouts aren't factory. My '76 has the fulltime 203 transfer with no lockouts on the hubs but a '73 1/2 ton I had was like that with aftermarket lockouts...and get this, 16.5" rims. First time I had seen that on a 6 bolt half ton.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Most likely its a 3/4 ton 8-lug dana 44. It does look like my d44 6-lug front axle on my Jeepster was, but the 8 lug and lockouts threw me off. It IS the heavy steel case, not the aluminum, so its the 203. Also has the low-lock, low, etc. shifter. So most any d44 gears will work, as long as they're not reverse rotation, correct?

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode