Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's (https://forums.off-road.com/gm-standard-sfa-trucks-suvs/)
-   -   no vaccum advance (https://forums.off-road.com/gm-standard-sfa-trucks-suvs/196933-no-vaccum-advance.html)

triplejracing 08-01-2004 09:42 PM

no vaccum advance

I quickly ran into a problem today installing my new Predator carb, there is no port for vacuum timing advance. Is there anyway to get around this like running just manual advance?

On a side note,the Predator carb is AWSOME! it actually starts easier than the Holley or Edelbrock that I had on previously,and the throttle response is like no other,it has absolutly no hesitation going from idle to wide open.

lwhbear 08-08-2004 03:10 PM

Re: no vaccum advance

You can hook your vacuum advance up to your manifold vacuum port just behind the carb on the intake, it may take geting a new fitting but it should be cheap. This can cure detonation problems on the upper rpm. The vacuum advance drops with manifold vac and some times it's what you want to keep from having too much timing on the upper end.

lwhbear 08-08-2004 03:58 PM

I'm not sure if my first reply got through, but you have the option of running your vacuum advance to the port on the back of your intake between the carb and your distributor, This allows the advance to drop off as manifold vacuum drops on the upper rpm range and it can prevent detonation from too much timing on the upper end aswell.
bear

lwhbear 08-08-2004 03:59 PM

Sorry for 2 replys, it didn't show the first one, would like to know more about the predetor if yah got time

triplejracing 08-10-2004 07:41 PM

can't I just change the springs and wheights to just use manual advance? And I will tell you more about the Predator once I get the bellcrank throttle linkage,but so far the thing is awsome the throttle response is unbelievable and it doesn't get much simpiler just a fuel line and some linkage with like 4 moving parts total.

lwhbear 08-12-2004 11:20 PM

I've never tried that, but it seems to me if you take a vacuum advance off a distributor you won't ever get full advance. You can try but it seems more trouble than it's worth, I have my vac advance hooked to manifold vac and I don't have any pinging problems, it's on a 350 chev, so go figure. A class mate did the same but he pinged while cold but he was running a little bit of higher compression and hypereutectic pistons in his 390 ford, so if you really want to do away with vac advance i'd compare the distributor that your planning on doing this to and a distributor with out vac advance for your application if you can, to make sure your gonna get every thing out of your motor that you can with out having any problems, It would help to know more about the motor your working on.