engine replacement options??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 12:40 AM
teddybear

engine replacement options???

hi there, thinking about replacing my worn out '87 350 [tbi], looking for some advice on possibilities. i'm a 22 and will do the swap myself, i'm trying to keep costs to a minimum.

#1 - rebuild kit and vortech head/intake maybe stroked at the same time?

#2 - HD L31 [$2250 USD] = dont know if this will work, anyone put a 96-00 350 into their 87-95 truck? let me know about any problems that come with this swap.

#3 - HD L05 [$1700 USD] = basically buy a new replacement engine for truck.

i would rather do 2 or 3 because i am not an engine builder,
though, i have a friend that could help me through it if it turned out i could get all the parts and machining for under 1700. i already understand the egr plumbing for 1.

i'm really interested in 2 but someone told me that the mounts are in a different place, i don't want to have to install new mount towers. plus, any help with how to swich tbi to cpfi would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2004, 03:35 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: engine replacement options???

There is the option of getting a remanufactured engine, there are several companies to choose from. The remanufactured engine will require you to reuse your sheet metal (oil pan / vavle covers / timing chain cover), intake & exhaust maniflolds, accessory brackets (like the AC / Power Steering / Alternator). I've installed a few remanufactured engines with very mild RV camshafts for EFI engines and they work well. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Check your local yellow pages. Your likely to find lots of local remanufactured engine companies.
dave
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2004, 03:38 PM
lwhbear

Re: engine replacement options???

I've seen your option #1 done, It works pretty good, #2 you have to fab mounts and possibly change the trans cause the new engines omit a bolt and use a bolt at the peak of the bolt pattern, #3 alright also and I would recondmend if you don't know what your doin inside a motor, there's more than just bolting stuff on and makin sure that you have propper bearin cleances, would allways trust what the machine shop is doing for you, If tyhe screw up and U use what they give you, your at fault for not micing every thing and so they will usaully do nothing for you,
Bear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode