Straight Pipes - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2004, 12:35 AM
Buddha

Straight Pipes

I've got a 1990 k5 4x4 silverado with a 350 and i'm thinking about putting straight pipes on it (exhaust straight from the cat... no muffler) probably 2" or 2.5" pipes, and i just wanted to know if anyone else has done this and if you've had any problems with getting pulled over for being to loud. it's not gonna be true dual exhaust... just a y-pipe right off the cat, i don't know if that matters as far as noise... i'd imagine true dual straights would be louder. do straight pipes have any affect on back pressure and low-end torque? and what size pipes should i get? i mentioned i was thinking about 2" or 2.5" because the stock exhaust is a 2.5" single pipe and i don't want to go too small so it looks good but i don't want to go too big and lower the back pressure too much. also since the exhaust is gonna be single to dual would it matter if i don't have an x pipe or an h pipe or would it even be possible or make sense to put an x or h pipe on it? thanks for any feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2004, 02:54 AM

Re: Straight Pipes

go for it, your pipe sises sound fine, no you dont need a cross over pipe, lots of newer trucks hear in town have ther exot like that sounds pritey good, and its not all that lowd, shouldent get pulled over whare do you live?, iv seen pepole hear run open headers wiyhout geting haseled
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 12:50 AM
jenz2002

Re: Straight Pipes

We've had our <nobr>truck</nobr> for a few days now and havent gotten pulled over yet. its got straight dual pipes, no cats or mufflers, and cherrybombs, so trust me, you'll be fine. just dont hammer on it in front of the cops. [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]

Oh yeah, and the thing is frickin loud... had another chevy a couple years back with a gibson cat-back exhaust.... this thing is sooo much louder...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode