Alternator Bracket Probs - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 12:48 AM
SHOTGUN

Alternator Bracket Probs

On my 'ol K20 I've had never ending problems with the alternator bracket because it angles the alternator back and puts a lot of stress on the belt. It also makes the belt go through periods of wanting to scream and not which will drive you crazy. Here is a picture to show you.

The green arrow points to where you can adjust the bracket in or out, but if you continue on down my second picture will who you that it needs to go out quite a bit more

And this picture show's you how far the belt is actually tweaked! [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Any idea on what to do, I realize I ultimately have the wrong bracket, but this <nobr>truck</nobr> was kinda pieced back together a few years ago after sitting for 12 years so I'm still working bugs out. Should I just cut off the where the adjustment stops the braket and weld some pieces of metal on to extend it I really don't know where I would be able to find another bracket around here because junk yards are not in abundance in my area. So any ideas on what I could do to make this one work would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 01:21 PM

Re: Alternator Bracket Probs

Problem with making that bracket work by piecing it together is that it will still slip. There is supposed to be a lot of tension on that belt. All the tension will tweak the bracket and then you are in the same place you atarted. Try the dealer or junkyard for a proper bracket.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 07:31 PM

Re: Alternator Bracket Probs

I had the same problem with the alt bracket on the 350 in my 70 Chevelle. You need the bracket that mounts to the engine block in front of the intake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode