Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's (https://forums.off-road.com/gm-standard-sfa-trucks-suvs/)
-   -   Buick motor in GMC 1 ton (https://forums.off-road.com/gm-standard-sfa-trucks-suvs/195008-buick-motor-gmc-1-ton.html)

broncodjs 06-22-2004 02:27 PM

Buick motor in GMC 1 ton

I just recently picked up a 1984 GMC K3500. It has a 6.2 diesel, Sm465, NP205 a front 60 and rear 14FF with 4.10s.

Well i bought it for the drivetrain and i was able to drive the diesel home but the diesel has to go. It was and always will be a crap motor with no balls. I need something thats going to be reliable and simple to work on. And have the guts to tear tree trunks out of the ground.

I just saw an add in the paper for a 1970 BUICK ELECTRA 225 with 5k on a rebuilt 455 for $700 OBO. The gears imediately started gridning in my head and what I need to know is will it bolt up to the motor mounts with out any modification and what about the transmission? Would I need to swap bellhousing or clutch parts?

Any help or thoughts on this kind of conversion would be great. I am going to scour he internet this evening just seeing if anyone has first hand experience. My other choice is to find a 350 and just toss it in. There is a K20 Suburban with a 350 for 650 obo.

Please any opinions are geatly appreciated.

Thanks
Dave

gregmgm 06-22-2004 06:50 PM

Re: Buick motor in GMC 1 ton

A good running diesel should have great torque, maybe yours just needs a bit of adjustment, or minor work to get it right. On the other hand, I swapped a 350 to a 454 in my 78 GMC, and the power is great! If you go that route, make sure you get a donor vehicle with all the other stuff (brackets, flywheel, ex manifolds or headers, etc) The extra stuff was the biggest cost on my swap, but unfortunately I didnt get a donor vehicle. My truck has that same drivetrain, strong and reliable.

c_rock 06-23-2004 06:34 PM

Normally Buick-Olds-Pontiac (BOP) engines have a different pattern than regular GM engines. But with that one being from a '70, it may not make a difference. I can't say for sure.
Yah, those older diesels really didn't have a lot going for them. They were a heck of a lot better than the 350 diesel conversion thing GM put in the Caprice though.

b454rat 06-24-2004 09:39 PM

The 6.2 shares the same bell housing pattern as any Chevy v-8. You could get the motor to work in there, but would have to fine a BOP bellhousing, which can be tough to find. Only other thing that you would have to do is change the motor mounts, maybe a little wiring.