Good Spark - Good Fuel - Won't Fire...! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2004, 12:03 AM
dadare

Good Spark - Good Fuel - Won\'t Fire...!

Need some help bad. Just finished replacing the head gaskets on my good running '95 K1500 with 5.7L. No problem, heads gone through and okay, everything reinstalled. Rocker arms adjusted, distributor reinstalled with #1 at TDC compression, absolutely no firing. First I find distributor cap spring loaded contact missing so replace with Delco, along with rotor. Timing light shows good spark and right on time - no fire. Good fuel delivery through throttle body. I absolutely know the distributor was put in on TDC compression, but reverse it anyway to make sure. Same deal - no firing. This is too bizzare and I'm out of solutions. I checked resistance from ground on battery to spark plug hex and .5 ohm - good.

I need some help bad....any ideas appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2004, 05:27 AM
geoffinak

Re: Good Spark - Good Fuel - Won\'t Fire...!

Well I don't know if you have a shop and are a real guru on Chevys if so I will duck when the wrench flys at my head.
When I did just what you did and marked the distributor and everything else, I drove myself nuts trying to get that thing to start for DAYS reading asking questions and I was not a guru at the time but studied hard and this was the only problem. I finally had a mechanic friend come up and it was the distributor, seems if I remember right I bought a new one just in case the other new did not work, so he used the newest of the new distributors and although it took him a few minutes, when I turned the key and that sweet 350 roared to life, I was a happy guy, it took me up and down the Alcan highway 7 times.
I maybe way off as mine was a 350 of 73 vintage. But I would bet the distributor, that was a while ago, but he said something that even a little off the TDC and she will not fire and somehow that got messed up.
Still in a pickle, e-mail me and I will ask him a true genius.
Don't you just hate it EVERYTHING goes smooth and 1 little thing right at the end goes wrong. Never fails.
Geoff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode