damn cops hassling me about tires - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2004, 05:27 PM
greg_Z71

damn cops hassling me about tires

hey man does anyone know what i should do i have a 1980 jimmy fullsize with a 9" lift and 35X16X15" boggers and the cops keep on stoping me like evey damn time i take this truck out its pissing me off the tell me there not streetlegal but even tho it says "DOT" right on the tire they said to me that doesnt mean anything........ fu<K!!!!
any suggestions? [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2004, 08:45 PM

Re: damn cops hassling me about tires

Depends on local laws. Some have laws regarding bumper height, headlight height, tire size, tires outside of fenders, etc. Just because they are DOT legal doesn't mean they are street legal in your county/state.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2004, 08:58 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Depends on your state laws... in Michigan you can't have your bumper more than 26" off the ground and the frame 24" off the ground. You also aren't supposed to have your tires sticking out past your fenders more than 3".

I'm pretty sure Interco's Boggers are only L speed rated (75mph).

I'd print this website out and show it to the oinkers when they harass you.

http://www.4crawler.com/Diesel/Tires.shtml#SpeedRating
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 05:08 PM

I just got to chime in on this being a cop myself:

1. What else is going on? I have been known to pull people over for stupid stuff to find out if there is other "Problems" and have been pulled over my self for some of the same crap. chances are if they don't cite then they are looking for something more. Does your truck "drift" in the lane (drunk?) often found in a bad part of town? (posible criminal activity)

2. Is it alway's the same dept./officer or area, it may be part of something else (like that stupid seat belt federal grant, where they have to write a bunch of seatbelt tickets in a certain amout of time, my dept. doesn't do that one.) but if your truck only has the lap belt or the cops can't see your belt that may be causeing it.

3. have you done something else to attract unwanted attention. we have several in my area that I will pull over for anything. ( always drunk, known drugies. etc.) it allows us to investigate what is going on.

4. Is your truck just something unique. cops are car people too. and like to check out nice stuff. I didn't actully do it becouse I got pulled away for another call but I recently was going to make a stop on a nice 427 cobra replica mostly to BS with the driver (no front plate)

5. has this just started with new tires or have you been driving on them for awile and just started getting this attention? are your tires really rare for you area? they aren't for mine.

6. is your truck just plain a rolling violation: too tall, tires not covered by fenders, no mud flaps, muddy plates, aftermarket high power lights, no muffler/to loud.

7. have you given people in you area reason to complain about your activities? after I get a couple of complaints about a certain car then I start watching them more carefully.

Just some thoughts along with the others given.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode