Vent window seals... never do it! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2004, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Vent window seals... never do it!

After having a set of brand new seals laying in the garage for a year, I finally started to change them last night.
It is a serious PITA. I spent about 2 hours with the drivers side, and am still not done. If I ever get it put back together I'm just going to RTV the passenger side shut. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
I put my tach in last night too.

By the way, where did everybody go? There hasn't been any posts on this board for awhile.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2004, 10:48 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Vent window seals... never do it!

Hmmmm, I've been contemplating putting new ones in my 21 y/o pickup. Actually I've been thinking about a complete door weatherstripping kit. The only part that is a PITA with the main window felts is getting that freakin door panel off without breaking those christmas trees or bending the clips at the top.

Yeah I noticed it's getting somewhat stagnant on this side of the GM Forums. I'll be making a new thread here in a week or so, I'll be installing a new tach, and removing my old one. Old one is a 6000-8000RPM Sun Super Tach, the new one is well...take a look for yourself:

[img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]THAT'S RIGHT! [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I finally found a cluster for the 81-97 style of dashes. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Since the bloody things only came in 81 & 82 in the trucks they've been somewhat hard to find.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2004, 12:17 AM
Enthusiast

That seems to be typical for things that look simple. My vents need new seals, but maybe not. My son spent 6 hours today on a project that should have been 1 hour and he is still not done.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2004, 12:24 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

It takes forever and a day. Especially on aftermarket doors with ****ty craftsmanship. Until mine start leaking I don't plan on replacing them. I'd have to say the worst one to deal with is the big window piece.

As far as visiting the board... I just read and reply if I have something of value to say. I don't have anything to ask here... I ask on CK5. I still read here several times a day but that's about it. I don't really post anything about what I've been doing to my truck and Fugly because it doesn't seem to be very well received.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2004, 02:36 PM
gregmgm

83GMC--Do you have any idea if that instrument cluster would fit a 78 GMC? I've been thinking about doing that for years. Mine has the large fuel gauge, and no tach. Thanks, Greg
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2004, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

I got the drivers side done yesterday a.m., finally. Aftermarket seals never fit as good as factory, so they don't look as good as I would like, but it keeps the water out.
Maybe next weekend I'll get to the other side.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2004, 10:11 AM

I was going to start looking for a factory tach in junkyards to put into my 87. How rare are they? and what did they come in? I just need to know where to look. Did blazers and burbs have them? What years? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode