Differential/Locker question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2004, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Differential/Locker question

My truck has the G80 locker in it. The other day I had the rear driveshaft off, with both wheels in the air. I turned one tire, and the other did nothing. I always thought that with a locker, they would both turn. Am I wrong, or do I have a problem?

Thanks. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2004, 05:37 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: Differential/Locker question

spin it really fast. it needs 100rpm difference. if you can't spin it really fast try jerking it.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2004, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

I'll give that a try. I'm still trying to change the rear pinion seal. I got the right sized socket, but don't have a wrench big enough to hold the pinion still.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2004, 06:43 PM

The G-80 "Locker" should be called a limited slip. It doesn't engage until there is enought difference between wheel speeds, and then it either locks or slows the slippage of one wheel (i forget exactly).

post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2004, 12:00 PM
HOEBOGGER

It probably won't(turn them both). My experience is the only time you'll even know the G80 is there is when you really need it. Which is good I suppose. There are a lot of negative opinions about the G80, but personally I think it's a pretty slick little unit. I never hear or feel any racheting or things of that sort like you would with a regular mechanical locker, but there have been countless times I've known it's there. One time in particular I had been stuck in a bog for over an hour waiting for my buddies Hi-Jack, we took up the front end (IFS if I might add, yes I'm board jumping.) With just the skinny 10-bolt pulling, it drug me out first try. There was also the ice storm this winter that had me stuck in a church parking lot because of the combination of the G80, and 35" Boggers. Not a good ice combo. Rice racers were passing me on all sides. Kinda' irritating. That's okay though, I'm sure I'll pull a few of them out of my grill before summers' over. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] J/K. At least they had sense enough not to get out on ice without verticle siping. Anyhow, I couldn't get mine to turn like that while on the lift either. But rest assured, it's there. Just try not to find out the hard way like myself. Happy wheelin'. [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2004, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Thanks guys. I don't know too much about differentials, other than that they make the wheels go round.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode