Propane Conversion - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2004, 04:45 PM
DCann

Propane Conversion

In a recent issue of a 4x4 magazine there was an article about doing a gas to propane conversion. (It was done on a 77 Chevy 4x4 tow truck)

This looks like a great idea because of all the positives like zero emissions, almost zero carbon, reliable operation at any angle and almost any temperature, etc etc etc.

I started doing some lookin' around and it seems like you have to be a member of some secret society in order to get info on doing it yourself.

I did get some info from Technocarb (the kit as used in that issue runs about 1400.00) and from other suppliers for parts but nobody wants to assist with info on how to do the conversion or what you would need to get if you couldn't afford a 'kit'.

Has anyone toyed with this idea or brought it to reality that might be able to give me some direction here? I figured, since the engine for my truck is being built, it would be a perfect time to integrate something like this.

I was thinkin on just gettin the necessary parts maybe one at a time until I could do it all up.

Thanks for any assistance!

Don [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2004, 07:12 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Propane Conversion

I have a book at home, (don't tell my boss I'm on the net at work [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]) that has some good information about propane conversions. As best I remember, an engine with about 10:1 compression works well on propane. The ignition timing is very different for propane. When I get home from work, I'll get my propane conversion book out and let you know the ISBN number. With any luck you might be able to get a copy from Amazon.com.
dave
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2004, 12:32 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I could not find my old (published back the 1980's) Propane Conversion book. Check this website Hendrix Industrial Gastrux for more information on propane conversions.
dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2004, 04:49 PM

I built a 421 stroker sbc for propane only to use in my rockbuggy, there's some good info. If you have more questions, let me know.
Here's my rig:
http://www.off-road.com/jeep/feature/2003_11/

Read this on building the motor for propane:
http://franzh.home.texas.net/engine.html

Buy the parts from Roy for the best prices:
http://www.propaneguy.com/
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2004, 05:08 PM
DCann

OMG!

[img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img]

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU ... A MILLION TIMES THANK YOU!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2004, 07:45 PM

[img]images/graemlins/beach.gif[/img] No big deal

Let me know if I can help,,,,,,,I've already made alot of the mistakes so you don't have too,,,,,, It is a really simple system that works amazingly good.

Welcome to the " secret society "
[img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2004, 11:09 PM
geoffinak

I can not give you the info on parts but I bought a 2/12 ton dump-truck with a I.H. engine in it. 192 C.U. and it ran on propane. The guy I bought it from said it took about 200 bucks back in 1974 to convert the carb. That thing ran great I would load the dump bed with 5 tons in it, pull a 2 ton 4 wheel trailer with a JD 410 back-hoe on it which was about 6 tons. Had a 5 speed trans with electric dual gear on the rear end
That little 192 would eat a gas chevy C 60 alive.
When I did have to rebuild the engine, the heads came off and looked shiny and clean as they day they came back from the re-builder.
They could use propane in just about everything on the road, problem, too much natural gas. I now live in Alaska and we have so much natural gas we could run everything in this country for 150 years. Problem, Oil companies will not-make much money, too much natural gas. The People are thinking of building a pipeline right next to the one we have now. So we may just kick their butts out and building ourselves.
The only problem, you can not, or at least at the time, refuel at any propane fill place at your local gas station. That may have changed. You could refuel at the major companies where they used their trucks to fill people home tanks. I just had a 2000 gallon tank installed. I could run about 8 hours on on 50 gallons, but get down to about 40 gallons and the pressure would get a little low on colder days. I replaced it after a year or so, was going to add another tank to give me 100 gallons as there were a few days I rolled into the yard. But ya this is doable but someone is messin with the recipe. I asked the propane guy who fills my tank here in Cal, and said it ran crummy had no power and quit on them. So I bet the older info may be better then some of the new. The oil companies do not want this to catch on. But it works and it workds good.
Best
Geoff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode