trans noise - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2004, 02:43 AM Thread Starter

trans noise

i put in my sm 465 with the np205 a wyel back and thare was a small leek at the t case adapter plate so i pulled it and resealed it, not leeking now but now once i drive for a whyel the trans seems to get lowder thay are bowth full i used gear lube in bowth, this wasent haping before

when it hapened the first time i drained and re filled the trans and t case, the gear lube looked ok it was onley in for about 4 howers, and that seemed to fix it but then today i drove it for a longer tine and it started making noise agen, it dose it in nutral with the clutch out or costing in gear

it allso gets harder to up shift to therd, it dosent seem to be eneything to majer thares no metel in the oil and it dose shift just wish i could get rid of it

do you think synthetic gear lube would help?, iv been useing 80w90 mabey i should try like 75w140?, mabey the gear lube i had siting in the gerage got some crap in it?

im gona drain and refill it agen tomarow at work so let me know if i should tru somthing elts, should i run a pint threw the trans and t case before i fill them to kinda flush them?

thanks gies, this problem is relley geting to me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2004, 02:49 AM
triplejracing

Re: trans noise

it sounds like more of a clutch problem than a transmission problem,do you replace the clutch? if so did you replace the throw out bearing and pilot bearing?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2004, 02:06 AM Thread Starter

ya i replace the clutch, presher plate, throw out baring and pilot bushing and hat the fly wheal turned, iv doune a lot of clutch jobs and never had a problem like this

i know it sounds like it could be the clutch from the way i described it but its the trans, ist moste notisabel when your stoped with the truck in netrel then it seems the lowdest if you push the clutch in and nothing in the trans is moving the noise gos away

it seems like the trans is geting to hot and the gear lube is thining out to mutch, when i checked the gear lube the fist time i heard the noise the trans was pritey warm and the gear lube felt relley thin

should i try heaver gear lube? if i should what kind? i dont want to use to thick and hur somthing or have it to hard to shift
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2004, 01:58 PM
del_binari

Have you been able to figure out why it's getting so warm the gear oil thins out too much?

Seems like maybe there is some pressure on a bearing or shaft that wasn't there before you fixed the leak. Just a guess.

'If you only did it once, it doesn't count.'
Ed
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2004, 02:53 AM Thread Starter

no i dont relley know why its geting that hot i dont know if it normel for them to run that hot, i just put this trans in not to long ago, i got it out of a dead truck and pulled the covers it all looked relley good so i cleened it and put it in mine other than this it works grate

i never drove it mutch before i fixed the leek so i dont think i got it hot enufe to make it make noise, i nont know how long it sat without being used before i got it a year or to at least i thik so mabey sonthings just kinda atickey from siting, every thing seemed free and smoth when i had the cover off thow and its not hard to shift and dosent make noise otherwise

thanks for the help thow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode