Lastest Break - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2004, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

Lastest Break

All I ever hear is that weak 6.2 can do anything worthwhile, it doesnt have any power. Well i murdered a Ujoint so it must have some I guess :thinking:
Are there any certain brands you guys would recomend?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2004, 12:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Lastest Break

I'd go get a Spicer one personally. Hey, is that a rubber boot on your slip joint? Where the heck did that come from, I want one!!! Did you install dual shocks or did it come like that?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2004, 02:45 AM
triplejracing

I have always had good luck with Brute force U joints but have heard good things about perfect circle joints too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2004, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

When I got all my Ujoints replaced about 2 years ago(back when my truck was split apart for painting) I just took my front driveshaft in, and the guy at my local shop just put it on, Heck I never even asked him to.
Also it came with quad shocks, When I lift it I might only put two up front and see how I like it, I will probably stay with the quad due to the fact my motor is heavy as hell.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2004, 09:53 AM
Way Outta Control

Supposedly the U-joints that do not have the zerk fitting to lube them are stronger. The small holes they drill through the "zerked" ones to get lube to the ends weaken them considerably.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2004, 10:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Weird...the '85 K20 out on the slab which came with a 6.2 doesn't have quad shocks. Must be a 1/2T thing.

Oh, there's pics up now on the SFA board of the two (K15 & K20) my dad and I are working on. I think you were one of the people that asked me to post some when I first did the writeup on them.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2004, 05:17 PM
Can't Get Enough

Quad shocks were an option, RPO code Z75
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2004, 12:17 PM
DCann

If you hold up a zerk'd U-joint so it looks like a + with the zerk fitting between the top and right cups ... make sure that the top and bottom cups are attached to the driving yoke and that the right and left cups are attached to the driven yoke.

Like, if you're hookin it up to a rear shaft ... the top and bottom ones would hook up to the shaft, the right and left ones would go to the pinion.

That way, when ya mash the go pedal, the torque is being applied to the joint in a direction that compresses against the weak spot and not pulling from it. (Unless ya mash it in reverse real good. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] )

Hope that helps!

Don [img]images/graemlins/beach.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode