Axle ID's - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2004, 05:04 PM
DCann

Axle ID\'s

Hi again folks!

There's a debate goin on at my place between myself and a friend re: axle identification.

I'm pretty well versed when it comes to engines but rather green when it comes to 4x4's and some of their components.

All of the documentation that I have regarding axles and their ID's refer to the 10 bolt, 12 bolt, etc. ones as being ID'd by counting the bolts on the covers. (Ratio's, etc would be further determined by other methods obviously.)

Now comes the disagreement: I say that the bolt counting by visual external inspection of the cover bolts will tell you if it's a 10 bolt, 12 bolt, etc.

My friend says that IDing an axle by bolt count can only be done by popping the cover and counting bolts inside the unit ... which bolts I have no clue. (Effectively saying that one that has 12 bolts on the cover may only be a 10 bolt once you examine the innards ... or what have you.)

I understand that there are many different types of axles and different ratios, etc within those. This 'base ID' question has us feuding pretty good though.

After yer done laughin' ... I'd appreciate yer assistance with this. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Don [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] <--- clueless and lovin' life. hehehe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2004, 05:58 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: Axle ID\'s

Well, it only counts on GM axles.

The best way to identify them is by case shape.

There are a bunch of different GM 10 bolts.

Then there is the BOP 12 bolt, car 12 bolt, and truck 12 bolt.

Next there is the 14SF 14 bolt, and the 14FF 14 bolt.

We're not talking about the newer 14 bolts either like the 11.5" ring gear one.

There are other axles like the 9 bolt used in thirdgen f-bodies.

As a side note, as far as older full size Chevy trucks they didn't use many axles.

The first one was the Eaton rear axle. It looks like a Furd 9" but much bigger. You've then got the 14FF, 14SF, and the Dana 70. As you go smaller you've got the 12 bolt and then the 10 bolt.

In the front they used the closed knuckle Dana 44, the closed knuckle Dana 60, the open knuckle Dana 44 (3 different hub variations), and the 10 bolt.

I hope that didn't confuse you too much.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2004, 07:21 PM
DCann

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
There are a bunch of different GM 10 bolts.

Then there is the BOP 12 bolt, car 12 bolt, and truck 12 bolt.

Next there is the 14SF 14 bolt, and the 14FF 14 bolt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks much for the info and direction, it is appreciated.

I've been flooded with info in my books about all the different types, etc.

However, our disagreement is a bit different. Lets say that I have a Corporate 10 bolt sittin in front of me. We know it is cause we ID'd it already. Now, is it called a '10 Bolt' 'cause it has 10 bolts holding the cover on? Or is the '10 bolt' reference in regards to something that's inside the unit?

Thanks again!

Don [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2004, 07:59 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

OH, now I get it.

It's called a 10 bolt because of both. All GM's axles coincidently have both the same number of bolts on the ring gear and the cover. "10 bolt" is also something that is specific about the subject at hand. For example, the "big" 10 bolt found in trucks has square ears at the bottom whereas the "little" 10 bolt in cars and small trucks has itsy-bitsy ears on them.

I belive the technical name is "GM Corporate 8.5" 10 bolt".

This doesn't apply anywhere else. For example, both a Dana 60 and a Dana 44 have 10 bolts on their covers.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2004, 08:03 PM
DCann

Excellent! And thanks mucho mucho!

All GM's axles coincidently have both the same number of bolts on the ring gear and the cover.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, with this in mind ... the aformentioned '10 bolt' that I was lookin' at could not be a '12 bolt' once the cover is removed ... cause the gear and cover would have the same # of bolts. Correct?

Don [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2004, 08:15 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

So, with this in mind ... the aformentioned '10 bolt' that I was lookin' at could not be a '12 bolt' once the cover is removed ... cause the gear and cover would have the same # of bolts. Correct?

[/ QUOTE ]

WELL, now that you mention it...

Somebody with far too much time on their hands could sit there and drill and tap... haha.

I mean, I know some insane people that will grind off the ears on a 10 bolt so people will think they have a rear Dana 44... even though they really ground them off for better ground clearance...

Yeah, I shaved the front one too.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2004, 08:20 PM
DCann

Heyyyyyyy .....

Now ya got me thinkin! (That's a dangerous thing at times ... usually if I am awake. LOL)

Don

PS: That looks slick! Where's my Makita grinder ....

[img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode