big chevy pic - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2004, 09:21 PM
race4fn

big chevy pic

here the <nobr>truck</nobr> i just got big lift 44 tires previous owner said dana 60 front and 16 bolt rear 350 4 spd mp205 and it needs a little work did i get ripped for 2200 dollars let me know what you think dont worry about hurtin my feelings
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1301519-May07054.JPG (69.1 KB, 318 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2004, 10:58 PM
Resurrection_Joe

Re: big chevy pic

If it does have a D60 and a 14 Bolt rear it's a good deal
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2004, 06:58 AM
race4fn

need help

can any one help me identify if this truck has a dana 60 front and gm 16 bolt rear any distinguishing marks numbers or any way to identify i can post pics if that may help let me know and ill post them

thanks
race4fn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2004, 10:10 AM
Way Outta Control

Ha Ha -- a "Tipover Special." Gee you can sure impress Jr. High School kids with it.

Does it really need that much height to clear the tires?
Off road it's totally impractical that high. Stay away from sidehills for sure. Trying to climb a hill it'll spring wrap like crazy, giving wheel hop. Going down that same hill it'll chatter so much you'll break something.

The axles are still on the ground, so it doesn't have any more ground clearance there.
A little work getting it back down to reasonable it could work OK.

The PO must have put in, what, 6. something axle gears for the 44's?
That's a good deal just for the axles and gears if he did. And he must have installed a dual T-case too to get Lo reasonable?

A friend used to live across the street from a popular hill. We'd sit on his porch watching them. When one like that would show up we'd make bets on how long it would take before he rolled it. We'd bet in minutes, not hours.
Most of the time the guy would try gently the first time, not make it very high, then back down.
Second try he'd do better, but still not make it.
Third try he'd really blast it - lots of show. Near the top he'd get squirrely, you could see the wheel hop, he'd get sideways and roll on down.
After a guy died they closed off the hill.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2004, 11:14 AM
race4fn

yea it sure is a rollover special the person i bought it from said he lifted that high to have the biggest truck around i have a few days off next week and iam gonna try and get the body closer to the tires by removing the body lift and taking the 3 inch blocks off the suspension then i have to run an exhaust for it and then try and get it to quit wondering all over.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2004, 04:31 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: need help

Dana 60s have king pins. 14FF has hubs and there will be 14 bolts on the differential cover.

Take what RRich says with a bucket of salt. Opinions are like anuses, everyone has one.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 07:02 AM
race4fn

the front diff is a dana 60 with 513 gears and detroit locker rear has 513 and a locker it has ten bolts on cover but the front of it bolts in like a ford nine inch the rear end is huge much larger than a 10 12 14 or any 9in i have ever seen its massive iam gonna take some picks today and post them hope someone can help identify as to why its so high have no idea the person i bought it from trailered it to mudholes gonna lower it down somewhere between 4 and 8 inches and repair some the things he rigged up hope to get it muddy by the end of the month
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 08:33 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

That'd be an Eaton rear end.

Is the Dana 60 closed knuckle or open knuckle?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 09:26 AM
Way Outta Control

Ha Ha -- I guess that proves it -- there's at least one Jr. High kid that likes it.

Driveshaft U-joint angles must be wild. That may give you trouble when you drop it back down.

The PO may have just let the U-joints have a huge angle - in that case you'll probably have lots of vibration now and worn u-joints. Not really a problem once you get it down to reasonable.

But - if the PO tried to do it right, he may have rotated the axles to point at the T-case and used a CV joint in each driveshaft - then you'll have to remount the perches.
But then it would wander all over the road - caster being way too negative - it would go negative by the amount he rotated the axle - 20-30 degrees? It would be really hard to drive!
To correct that the PO may have cut the axle tubes and re-positioned the axle ends, rotating the ends back to about +3 degrees. (But he may not have, people that dumb son't do things right.)
When you drop it down you'll have to cut and reposition them again, else you'll have way too much positive caster.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 09:45 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

No, I think it's retarded. However, there are people in our club with 11-12" of lift on 40"+ Boggers and TSLs that don't tip any more easy than a Heep on 33s.

I'm an [bleep]. However, you put me to shame.

A universal joint will survive 13.

Most people that have overly high lifts in the club don't run double cardan joints because you would have to cut the knuckles off and rotate them in order to get vibrations to go away. Which, seems simple enough, but as you may or may not know all GM axles use the differential case for their passenger side spring perch. You'd have to do a lot of machining to get back to the stock 6 of castor. Then you'd still end up running shims because you can only do so much machining.

The vehicle is clearly not a highway vehicle. Since it appears to have an Eaton rear end and a closed-knuckle Dana 60 front end it probably also has a divorced NP205 or maybe a Rockwell/Timken T221. You can run non-CV driveshafts with 15" of lift with a divorced case on the highway at 60mph and not feel any vibrations except for your bias tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode