Blazer tank swap into K10 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2004, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Blazer tank swap into K10

Anybody out there swap a 31 gallon Blazer tank into their LWB Pickup? If so, do you have a link or pictures. I got a hold of a tank and can see where the spare tire support and the rear most x-member may be in the way. No big deal there. It also looks like I'll have to modify one of the bed supports in my floor and make my own straps, but other than that, it looks like it should work.
I'm thinking of mounting the filler tube in the bedside, behind the taillight, and fab up a bracket that will let the taillight fold out to access it. Worst case I can cut a hole in the bedside for a fuel door.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2004, 02:19 PM
DougK20

Re: Blazer tank swap into K10

Post up, please! I am also planning on doing this. I am picking up the 31g tank tonight to go in my K20. Is it possible to mount it in front of the rear axle granted there's sufficient driveline/exhaust clearance? I am bobbing the bed and won't have the frame or protection to mount it behind. What about in the bed with a diamond plate cover bent around it for looks. Please, help us brutha's out!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2004, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

It's good to see some interest in this idea. I decided that I would either get a new tank, or clean and seal my old one prior to firing up my new motor. I dropped the one saddlebag that I have, looked at it and said, "that thing isn't going back in the truck." So I ordered the blazer tank, new for 97 bucks. I figure I can get it work, one way or another.

I looked in front of the rear axle as well. After looking at it, I thought that behind would make a little more sense as the blazer tank is about 11 inches top to bottom, and 14 if you include the filler neck. Besides that, if you were to break a u joint, your driveshaft could hammer the snot out of it, and the front could come pretty close to interfering with the tailshaft of your t-case. With a 3 inch body lift, you might have better chances.

I also thought about the in bed option, but my choice for a tank in there would be more like an L shaped tank that you could use for diesel fuel or a custom one that you could mount below a toolbox or something. i just would rather have the majority of the bed free of obstructions, and a filler neck that won't chance contamination. For a bobbed bed, it might work out well.

Hopefully, I'll get my 383 fired up this weekend, then I'll think about lifting the bed off. For now, I've got a little 6 gallon boat tank in the cab. Before anyone goes OSHA on me, I'm not going to run it around this way. Just a temporary tank to move my truck around to my garage and back and get my engine fired up.

Later,

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2004, 06:57 PM
gregmgm

This tank swap idea is a great one, and I'd love to see photos of it when you are done- -or better yet during the process. On my 78 K2500, there's a large area between the rear bumper and axle that should be good for a tank, when I do this conversion. It's all good with the temp boat tank- -hopefully no one will go "OSHA" on you!!!LOL Greg
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2004, 10:58 PM
Resurrection_Joe

I used a late 80's Fuel Injected Van Tank

Same dimensions as a K5 tank, but the flange around it is higher and the gill neck is different

It's raised up a bit to give a little airflow around the mufflers

I'm sure if you wnated a regular bed and not a flatbed you could boondoggle it lower and proper

That black thing supports the tank and replaces part of the cut out crossmembers
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2004, 02:14 AM
Aprentice

I put a suburban tank (I'm pretty sure it's the smaller 25(?) gal. one) under the back of my K10. I didnt cut out the crossmembers so it hangs kinda low. I plan to redo it and get it higher when I replace the bed floor. I have a stepside bed, so it was pretty easy to make the original filler location work.

Soon I will be putting a 31 gal. under my C20. The filler neck will be a little trickier since it has a fleetside bed on it.

If you are going to put it behind the axle I would highly recommend putting a sturdy skid plate on it. Last weekend I spent a lot of time on the skid plate on my Scout while wheeling. It sits up pretty high too.

Sorry, I dont have any pics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode