Looking for 4" suspension lift for a 1984 C20 3/4t - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2004, 10:08 PM
84C20

Looking for 4\" suspension lift for a 1984 C20 3/4t

Hi,

Totally new here- just wondering if anyone might have any kind of source for a unique suspension kit:

4" Suspension lift on a:

1984 Chevrolet Custom Deluxe 20.

It's a 3/4 ton with 8-lug wheels, leaf spring suspension in the back, and coil spring suspension in the front. It's 2WD, and is a L-1-2-3 manual.

If anyone can get me a source on a lift kit that'll fit that truck, it would be f'in BAD ASS. Thanks all, in advance, for any help!

[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2004, 06:14 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: Looking for 4\" suspension lift for a 1984 C20 3/4t

I've never seen a 4" kit for the old body style 2wd trucks. Rancho has a 1.5" kit that comes with new front springs and shocks. I've put that kit on 3 seperate trucks, and it will clear 33" tires.
If you went that route, you could then put a 2" bodylift on it to fit 35" tires.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2004, 07:12 PM
84C20

1.5" you say? Well... I guess I'd have to take what I can get. You happen to know what the kit was called, or have a way to get the kit part #? I don't know if the 4WheelParts near me is worth a damn as far as looking that stuff up. They kept telling me I was out of luck for anything, recently. But if I walk in there with more info, it might help my cause.

Body lift?

I've always heard that body lifts were bad news... I've honestly never researched them thoroughly myself... why would they get a bad rap? Too much stress on the body, or what?

Thanks for anyone's help, here...

[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2004, 08:37 PM
Can't Get Enough

I got the info at gorancho.com. The part# for the front springs is RS6500. Its just a pair of longer coil springs. Front shocks from Rancho are RS5120.
I've personally put these springs in a 77 1/2 ton, a 83 3/4 ton, and an 86 1/2 ton. I did not lift the rear suspension on any of them because they were all higher in the back to start with.
It is not a hard core off-road set up, because all it really does is give you the lift. It does not increase wheel travel. The springs are stiff, but you may not notice any difference in the ride of your 3/4 ton.
Body lifts are not my favorite, but if you go no more than 2" it should be alright. Look for a high quality kit that comes with all of the hardware (longer bolts, bumper brackets, etc.)
A body lift is just to get you bigger tires. It does not improve the clearance between your frame and the ground.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2004, 09:25 PM

well, since you havea 2WD like me, you arent gonna be doing any SERIOUS off-roading. so you dont have to worry too much about frame flex and the extended length of the bolts going through the body mounts. so thats a moot point for you. the other consideration of the body lift is i nthe cargo capacity of the bed. the underside of the ebd has ribs on it. these rest on the frame and add a considerable amount of strength to the bed. well the body lift raises the four corners of the bed, but it doesnt support these braces. its a simple fix of welding some square stock under the supports. that right there will make it just as strong/stronger than stock. so you'tre 3" higher and everything is great for you.

now its about cosmetics. good kits will come with relocationbrackets for the front bumper. this will make it look stock. the rear bumber bracket is rarely included. gap guards will make it look prety good though.

my truck has gap guards on the sides and rear, and the bracket foir the front bumper. and of course the square stock under the bed suports
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2004, 02:40 AM
84C20

Thanks for the info, guys, it's much appreciated.

At this point it looks like I may just search out another pickup, but one that's a little more receptive to lifting, instead of sinking so much money into this one... feels like every turn I make in upgrading this pickup is a complete struggle!

Thanks again!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2004, 10:31 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Measure the coils in diameter, coil thickness, and in height. Compare it to say a late seventies (77-78) C20 HD or C30 with a bigblock. They'll have the giant sway bar as well. You might find that these heavier springs will give you enough lift. I think the springs on those were like 7/8" in diameter and I have yet to see beefier springs anywhere.

The other option is to go spring shopping at the junkyard. Newer Dodges and Furds might have what you need.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2004, 02:55 PM
5truckzook

Just one question. Why are you spending your hard earned money, time, blood, sweat, tears and knuckles on lifting a 2wd? Buy a 4x4 and then dump all the above into it and have a more capable and satisfiing rig.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2004, 04:03 PM
84C20

Honestly. . .

I really don't feel like dealing with all the additional maintenance and headache of a 4WD, in addition to what would likely be even worse gas mileage... Plus, I live in a metro area of over 5 million people. I don't live out in the woods, the desert, or redneckville USA where you see 4WD trails off many roads in 1/2 mile intervals. I wanted to retain a great deal of work truck utility, and have something to off-road moderately with from time to time. Something that'd be a little more capable for making runs into the mountains for camping, mountain biking, etc. However at this point, I may just go pick up a crappy 4WD, outrageously lift/gear/outfit it, and throw it on a trailer to haul to trails and mountainous areas. Because honestly, I'm at least 20 minutes from a good off-roading area, and I'd rather put together a super-equipped toy and not even bother registering/tagging/insuring it, and trailering it to areas.

Thanks for your perspective, though. I had already considered it.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 07:26 PM
Resurrection_Joe

Re: Looking for 4\" suspension lift for a 1984 C20

Oh my god a whole 20 minutes! [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

Hahahahahahahahaha

Yeah I wouldn't lift a 2wd, and if you are concerned about mialge you shouldn't be lifting your truck either

Find a good running bad looking truck and lift that, throw on some swampers and go
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode