Plastic dash cover - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2004, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Plastic dash cover

Has anyone used or seen the hard plastic dash replachments (the ones that glue over the old dash) such as Coverlay or others? They are about $100. Are they any good? I am worried they might not fit well. Do the look good or like crap? Any feedback would be helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2004, 09:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Plastic dash cover

I've seen those glue on ones on ebay, personally I think it's a joke. Don't know anything about them, but if THEY are $100, then I'd spend the $150 it costs to get an entire original dash. I've taken apart the dashes of a few of these trucks, I've never seen a glue on one, but just looking at how it all goes together, I can't imagine the quality being very good. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2004, 10:58 PM
Can't Get Enough

Yah, I was looking at those too. But I thought that after some time, they may start to pull away from the original dash and look like junk.
I'm probably going to end up buying a new dash. I can't seem to find a decent one at any junkyards. I'm also tossing the idea around to cover it in tweed. I saw a lowered truck with it done that way, and thought it looked sharp.
I'm still running around with a combination of black, blue and tan interior, and getting sick of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2004, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

I like the new dash, but haven't found them for less than 200+
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 09:07 PM

It depends on how concerned you are with details. I installed one on my Ventura about five years ago and it is still in perfect condition, my only problem with it is the manor af attachment. The kit I got came with a silicone adhesive that didn't allow a real tight fit, so the bottom of the dash show about 1/4 inch of the old dash in the worst spot. The overall fitment was really pretty good, but if you are looking for a "show piece" get a new one. If you are just looking to cover up the old cracked and faded dash, it is a good cheap alternative. Another consideration is the spray on vinal and plastiv dye. My Blazer's dash was in poor shape from the sun, but I cleaned it real well with some thinner and shot it with, I think it was Krylon brand, vinal and plastic dye and it looks great!! Plus, you can't beat $5 and a couple hours cleaning and masking vs. a couple hundred for a new one, ya know?!!!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2004, 01:02 AM

I used it on mine, the only problem i have had with mine, is in the summer when it gets really hot inside the cab with the windows up at work etc. it expands a bit, and the middle of the top pushs up a bit. But if you crack the windows there is no problems, I am happy with the product, I got it out of JC Whitney for $74.00 I beleive that was 2 years ago though.
I could get a pic for you this weekend when Im home if you want, send me a PM if so
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2004, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

I called an auto apolstery shop and he said the coverlay brand worked really well. I'm gonna try one out. I'll try an get some pics posted.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2004, 10:41 PM
Can't Get Enough

Today I pulled my dash out of the truck, cleaned it with xylene, and painted it with black vinyl dye. It looks good, and saved me a bunch of $$.
The trim piece had the fancy "wood", so I removed that too.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2004, 10:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

$150, brand new, in Cali.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...57117&rd=1
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2004, 09:17 PM
bneiman

I used the $100 plastic cover and it really fit better than I thought it would. Check the pics. This is before.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1303158-dashbefore.JPG (21.7 KB, 48 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode