Basic (dumb) suspension question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Basic (dumb) suspension question

Dumb question, but which of the following makes the best combo?

1. Soft springs and soft shocks
2. Stiff springs and soft shocks
3. Soft springs and stiff shocks

I ask because my truck rides like a tank. I took off two of the front shocks, and now it rides like a boat. The springs and shocks (all Pro-Comp) all seem super stiff.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 06:26 PM

Re: Basic (dumb) suspension question

Well, after having many a vehicle like that, I would have to say the shocks need to be "in between". I had a car that was lowered with KYB gas shocks on it, and it rode super rough. Hit a whooly bar and you would feel it. On my old black 84 3/4t, at first it rode rough. After I put a heavy duty bumper on it, it rode little better. After I put the 454 in, little better. But when I swapped the front axle out, and only put one shock on, and with one shock on the back, it rode almost like a stock truck. So I would guess to say that it's a combo of "medium" shocks and springs. Got a 1 ton, and it will be stiff. Look at air shocks, put alot of air in them, and they ride stiff. Tried to be clear on this... [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2004, 03:09 AM
Wrench

I would recommend adjustable shocks, and/or the velocity-sensitive ones (good multi-stage valving). Any of them that have a variable-flow control device that allows for stiffer low-speed damping and softer high-speed damping. They give you a softer ride on abrupt (high piston speed) hits, but have good bottoming resistance and body-roll control. For example, the Edelbrock IAS, doubled up if needed.

Shocks like the Fox reservoir type are WAY more advanced and offer an unbelievably better ride than anything you are going to find at your local auto-parts store.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2004, 09:37 AM
Mud in my Veins

Look at what Desert trucks run. Soft springs and quick acting shocks.

You want soft, supple springs in packs with the least arch possible and many thing leaves.

Shocks you just want a good one. Skip any of the generic lift maker shocks (Skyjacker Nitro/Hydro/whatever, ProComp etc, Rancho RS5000's, Heckthorn, blah blah). You have to pay money for quality. Personally I use Bilsteins. Have the Bilstein HD's on my Ranger now and basically, if Bilstein makes a shock for whatever vehicle I have and however it is configured (lifted, lowered, stock) I will spend the money and run their shocks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode