SM465 Rebuild ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2004, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

SM465 Rebuild ?

Hello !
I spend most of my time in the Jeep board, but I have a GM based question and I thought this was the place to go.

I am in the process of building a Jeep with a GM drivetrain.
The first think I want to do is to rebuild my SM465. I want to gather the correct tools for the job.
I know that I need a long puller and a bearing splitter to take the transmission apart.

My question is
What is the best size splitter to get, and what is the best size puller to get. Is a 2 jaw better or will a 3 jaw work?

And it anyone would have a link to a place where I could get said tools on the net that would be great.
Thanks very much for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2004, 07:52 PM
Wrench

Re: SM465 Rebuild ?

Piggyback on Olin18's questions:

I have a 1977 NP205 transfer case mated to what I think is an SM465 4-speed. If any of you have any tips for upgrades to this tranny, please let us know. I have heard rumors of upgraded synchros and such, but dont have any specifics. I will be rebuilding both soon, and can use any tips anyone has.

Thanks,
Paul
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 07:36 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

The SM465/NP205 is probably one of the best trans/xcase combo ever offered. I have no question that the SM465 will hold up to anything I throw at it. There is no need at all to upgrade. Just replace any worn parts. The only reason I am even rebuilding mine is because it has a TON of miles on it.
I am just having trouble finding the information on the size of splitter I need, and the reach of the puller.
Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2004, 07:57 AM

I rebuilt a SM465 and NP205 combo last summer. For the SM465 all that I used was a modified 2 jaw puller and press. The puller was modified to pull the shaft bearings out of the case. Once the bearings are off, you can remove the gear sets from the transmission case. After the gear sets are out of the case you can use a press to disassemble and reassemble the gears. Other than that I just used hammer and brass drift. If you have any other questions about the rebuild just ask.

The 2 jaw puller with modified ends:

I got my rebuild kit from Novak Conversions . Here is a kit that is suppose to help fix 3rd gear hop out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1289815-2 Jaw puller small.JPG (87.9 KB, 14 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode