Tested out my new winch today - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

Tested out my new winch today

Tuesday my winch was delivered. Tuesday and Wednesday I made brackets to mount the relay pack because the manufacturer's brackets were retarded and to mount the fairlead. I was under the impression you could mount the fairlead to the winch (going by the pictures Mile Marker has on their website). This isn't the case.

I then wired it up while bitching about how they had the relays mounted.

It seems to work pretty good. I'm not too terribly impressed but oh well. I suspect that between my plate, new wiring, brackets, fairlead, and the winch it weighs around 150lbs.

I tested it by hooking it to a tree with my linelocks set. The no load linespeed is PLENTY fast. IF you NEED it faster than what this winch does you must have excellent cable-spooling skills.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2004, 12:02 PM

Re: Tested out my new winch today

Did you go with the Mile Marker winch. I saw some at the shop the other day. They just look like a winch. Nothing shinny or pretty looking. I think that the 12000 was 800 dollars.
Looks Good
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2004, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

Yeap, got the Mile Marker.

$700 for the winch and snatch block to my door. I've got about another $75 tied up in the multimount plate, hardware, tree saver, and clevis. I've got another $100 tied up in wire and 350 amp connectors. So, for about $900 I have a 12,000lb winch that I can put on any vehicle with a receiver.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 11:55 PM
Resurrection_Joe

How did you rig up the solenoid, I mounted mine per instructions and it slides around all stupid like
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2004, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

I took my winch out and I had those two brackets. One of them had fallen completely apart in shipping. I was like "what the [bleep] are these things for?" and I figured it went to something but it didn't make any sense. So I was looking at the solenoid pack and noticed that it has a curved part on it like it's meant to be mounted to the motor or transmission. So I was like "OK, these hosers sent me two useless pieces of metal and no zip ties to hold on the solenoid pack".

Later I realized what they were for. They have set screws to hold them onto the bars. I said out loud, "Wow, that is a whole new level of gay".

I cursed for a while. I said to myself "OK, they've got weathertite connectors for the winch remote, a weatherproof remote, and yet they didn't put any antioxidant on any wires and the solenoid box is open to the elements."

I bet the engineer that designed the remote system didn't design the rest of the winch.

I decided that I'd be a hillbilly and make my own brackets out of flatstock. I bent it in the vise with a hammer, drilled holes with the drill press, and ground off the corners using my die grinder. You can tell it was ghettofabbed but it left me room to mount a wireless remote someday and is a whole lot stronger than the crap they designed.

http://www.wrath.com/vehicles/84k10/winchrelated/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode