Snatch blocks - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2004, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

Snatch blocks

I hear people talk about snatch blocks all the time but never see any actual measurements. I bought the biggest one I could find that was easy to use (overhead sling ones aren't very easy to use in my opinion). I was going to buy a Warn one but it looked kind of small. I ended up buying a Mile Marker one. Nobody in the club has one that I'm aware of besides me.

Got any pictures or measurements?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2004, 04:04 PM

Re: Snatch blocks

I run a massive forged one made for industrial hoisting applications. Has a 60k pound work limit. Looks like the one in the upper left in this pic:

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2004, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

How big is the sheave on the one you've got?

I was going to buy a overhead sling one but it was going to be pricey for one designed for 3/8" and 7/16" rope according to Jay. So, I figured I'd bite the bullet and just buy a "small" one. The one I saw at the store from Warn looked smaller than the one from Mile Marker so I went with the Mile Marker one. I think it's amazing that they wrap that cable around such small diameters.

The one from that place looks just like the Warn one:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2004, 05:53 PM

Hey yeah they do... Guy in our club who runs an M15 warn used his warn, just like the pic you showed, to pull a deuce out of mud pit at Hollister, never had a problem with it and it was straining his winch. Anyway, mine is about 4-5" in diameter. I have rope so it doesn't matter.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-05-2004, 02:08 PM
Mud in my Veins

sheeeit, rope is for tire swings [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

wish i could afford some rope... hell, a winch would be nice too [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

will that rope stuff wear out really fast when used in the mud? where did you pick up the 60K lb pulley? we're about to put a winch on the Deuce but it's just the $300 8K one from harbor freight so a pulley might come into play when we bury it to the windshield wipers [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-05-2004, 04:58 PM
Resurrection_Joe

I was reading a post or article or bathroom scrawl about synthetic rope a while back, and it seems dirt or mud can get isnide the fiberes and when its compressed, chew away at the rope. Synth rope and wire rope have limited lives anyway, just have to decided if ropes adavantages outweight its shorter life and other small disadvantages (cost!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode