I'm back...with projects this time. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 11:58 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I\'m back...with projects this time.

So how is everyone? Between getting busy at college and a small software issue I kind of dropped out of the BBS.

Well I always whined about not having anything to work on, now my dad and I've got two trucks to work on. One is being parted out, the other is being rebuilt (sort of).

The first is an '85 K20 Silverado, it had a 6.2L diesel/th400/np208. Those were kept by the people we bought it from. It still has the 10bt and 14sf. Everything else was there though, all for $400.

As for the second truck, it's a '77 K15 Sierra Grande. Has a 400sbc/th350(I think, haven't verified)/np203/D44 & a 12bt. This thing fan decent enough when we got it, that is, it went down the road at 50mph and that's about all, not all the guages worked and the paint is pretty oxidized. The interior and under the hood were filthy. After a fwe hours with the preasure washer getting rid of all the dirt and oil, things didn't look to shabby. A complete tuneup on it proved to be interesting. Rebuilt the HEI distributor, did the plugs, wires, oil change, filters and all that. Come to find out that it had mismatched plugs as well as oddball wires. Got it all back together and this thing runs like a singer sewing machine. It sounds sa-weet. Fixed a few random oil leaks, as well as a fuel leak, and then we moved onto the interior. Which currently is down to the sheetmetal, all over the inside. This thing had a factory tach, which my dad forbade me from stealing for my truck, as well as cruise control. My dad and I have come to the conclusion that the person who owned it previously shouldn't own tools. Not only was the ignition system a mish-mash but there were more green wires randomly going places in the truck than on a John Deere tractor. A wiring diagram straightened that out. When it's done it'll have a rebuilt guage cluster, power windows and door locks (went to a junkyard, and spent some time on ebaymotors). Well I'm running out of time for the morning, I gotta run, more updates later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 01:06 PM

Re: I\'m back...with projects this time.

Do you have any pictures of the new gems? I wish that I could get a parts truck for a few hundered dollars.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 03:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Pics soon. Get this...that '77 that we're rebuilding was $400 as well, most of that went to getting it outta the impound [img]images/graemlins/chairfall.gif[/img]. It had 4 original steel wheels on it with not so good tires on it. My dad went to Les Schwab to get one of them patched and found a used set of takeoffs, $200 for wheels and tires with better than 50% tread. Wheels are those three spoke design aluminum ones that have black between the spokes on the edges. I've seen them called "Batman Mags", can't find they're make/model though.
Tires are All Terrain SXT's by Avon Tire:

So yeah, like $25 per wheel and $25 per tire...I don't know how my dad does it, but he randomly finds deals like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 05:17 PM

[bleep] I need to get out of California. The gas is over 2 bucks a gallon and everything is expensive. Maybe I could just find beater trucks and parts somewhere else and them bring them home. Dough, that would mean that I would have to fill up with that expensive gas to go pick stuff up.

Good finds though.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 08:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

$1.79 - 87 Oct.
$1.89 - 89 Oct.
$1.99 - 92 Oct.
$1.89 - #2 Dsl.

[img]images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode