Hardcore wheeling with mall terrains - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2004, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

Hardcore wheeling with mall terrains

Hardcore wheelin' with my mall terrains (or should I say maul terrains?) in my front yard just before dark. I've even got bitchin' Drey style flexing going on in the one picture. Sorry Drey, I couldn't resist. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Sorry, I'm blatantly bored and I don't want to do homework.

We've had so much rain in the last week that the snow is disappearing fast. People went snow wheeling this weekend and I couldn't go because I don't have any tires. I figure next weekend aught to be the beginning of the mud season.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2004, 05:05 PM

Re: Hardcore wheeling with mall terrains

Lookin pretty good there Wrath [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Mudd season started here this weekend, its been raining liek crazy the past 3 days....heres a Snow Flex pic of mine the last snow we had, I would have gone farther but my truck started sinking in [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1283114-01GMCFarm2.JPG (55.5 KB, 3 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2004, 05:05 PM
Resurrection_Joe

Awwwwww that's soooooo

Like Drey!

Hahahaha

Anyway..... yeah get yourself some tire man, you can find swampers in the smaller sizes on ebay for $550 or so shipped

I'd sell you mine too but I doubt you want 32" TSL Radials..... with one having a sidewall bulge.....

Damn it gotta buy a new friggin TSL and I then get the TH350 fixed....

Pooh!

Oh yeah...

If you want a 14BFF for the back you can come get it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2004, 05:40 PM

here's some drey action in a parking lot on campus the other day. who would have though a 2WD with a 4.3 can actually go over ANYTHING...hell, i bet if i hit the gas, i could climb ocer a curb
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1283128-snow front drivers-2.JPG (79.6 KB, 3 views)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2004, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

I know how it is getting stuck. When I had my snow tires on I kept getting stuck in the "exclusive" parking on campus. That means the snowbank that is piled on top of open parking spaces.

Last night while doing that I almost got stuck too. I ended up having smoke rolling off the right rear because after that second picture I tried going straight and got stuck. You can see the snow stuck in the front receiver....

I'm ready for some woods wheeling but buying the K5 and the winch has made me poor.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2004, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

Yeah, I need some tires... BAD.

When I was shooting the [bleep] with Keith Friday I had him quote me a bunch of different tires. Pretty much no matter what it was going to be around $570-$590 for either TSLs or TRXUS.

I'd contemplated some 33x13.50x15 LTBs, those would cost around $540-$550.

I've been contemplating 33x12.50r15 Kumho Venture M/Ts from Tirerack for $101/tire + ~$55 for shipping. There's a kid in the club that has a set on his Furd and it does alright.

One of my friends got a set of retreads from these guys:
http://www.high-tec-retreading.com/sizes.html
He seems impressed with them. I don't know though.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2004, 08:22 PM
Resurrection_Joe

I'd keep looking for used tires, especially on Pirate and CK5 (I can look if you... oh wait you are a member).

33's go cheap

Those Kumhos were reviewed on ORC, but it's such a cluster**** of crosslinking you may never find it

I'd try going to Sams Club or Walmart and seeing if they can get you some 33" General Grabber MT's. They're the official tire of sweden you know! Ahhhh the days of Andreas

Oh EDIT here

Thos retreads are pretty damn good from what I hear, the company is SD! I've driven past it before, it's two huge shops outside of..... Edgemont? Anyway, AJM researched them quite a bit and I have too, they rock!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2004, 09:36 PM
Mud in my Veins

What happened to those Mud Kings you were running? Wear them down or did something kill them?

I looked into the High Tec (Hi Tech, whatever) retreads. Heard lotsa good things about them. Occasionally a bad word or two about them, but mostly just uninformed folks. We all know the type. [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] What impressed me was the 20,000 mile 2 year (might be 3, going on 2 year old memory here) warranty. They have new sizes now so you can go bigger than 33's. I'm interested to see what those have for a tread pattern as the 33's seem to be copies of the Dunlop MT's.

I was all set to get some for the Mighty Tracker when I found that after having a local shop mount them the price was only $40 less than a new set of 235's. However with the bigger sizes the price difference is more, so you can save more. The two times I've bought tires since then Sparty's buddy at Belle Tire in GR has hooked me up so I'm getting better prices than ANYONE can pretty much give me.

When I go to 32's on the Ranger I might give HT a call though. Dunno if I can get the tire deal as it's a 3 hour drive away now.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2004, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

One tire got hit by an axe. Here's my post about it.

They had about 6,500 miles on them. I've still got the whole set. 4WPW sells them as "Cavalier Mud Kings" and I've also been thinking about buying two of them but that's $300. Etires have them too but the money you save on shipping is offset by the cost of the tire. So, either place, it's like $287 to buy two tires.

In that case, I'm better off buying the Kumho MTs for $450 and selling two tires while keeping one as a spare because then I'll have four brand new matching tires.

The retreads kind of scare me. I know that the modern retreading using heat so they revulcanize to the casing is better than the old recapping done on semis a decade ago but it still makes me wonder. I wouldn't worry about it if I didn't regularly go down to 12-16psi and then run it 30 minutes home at highway speeds.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2004, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

It seems like no one has tires for sale when I need 'em.

Pirate kind of scares me. I don't know any of those people and those people don't know me. I have a real hard time buying used tires that I can't touch before I buy. Or at least someone I can't beat the snot out of if they sell me junk.

We don't have a Sam's Club here or within a gazillion miles. We have a Wal-Mart that doesn't have an auto center though.

Grabber MTs and Laredo MTs have shot up in price over the last few years. They used to be bargain tires like the Kumhos but now they cost $130-$150 it seems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode