T case trouble - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 08:52 PM
GotMineCheap

T case trouble

Hi! My Jimmy is making me nuts. I have the 241 transfer case, and when I hit the brakes, or accelerate in reverse fast enough, the damn thing tries to go into 4H. I have the auto-crapomatic locking hubs, so when the transfer case starts clicking, the hubs start trying to engage.... I pulled the front driveshaft this afternoon so i can drive, but the t case is still doing its thing. I checked the linkage, and it seems ok, I can shift it from under the truck. Has this happened to anyone? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 10:00 PM

Re: T case trouble

Worn/bent shifter forks are probably the culprit.
Take it to a tranny shop and have them take it apart and replace what is broken/worn.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 10:35 PM
GotMineCheap

AHHH, geez. Well, tell me this. I have a 1986 208 transfer case that works pretty good in another truck that is waiting for an engine. The other truck has a 700R4, but the 86, non computer controlled unit. Will that case fit on the comp controlled unit in my 90 jimmy? Is this case worth even fixing, or should I just drive it till it blows to bits. The Jimmy is my to work driver, but I don't drive far. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2004, 12:54 PM
Enthusiast

If you are not totally attached to those hubs, get some manuals and install them. I put in a set of Warn Premium hubs and I am very happy. I know that won't solve the transfer case problem, but those junk hubs will be gone.

Jim
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2004, 02:53 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

The 1990 has a NP241. They look similar to a NP208. Your particular NP241 has a vehicle speed sensor on it whereas your NP208 uses a cable to the speedometer.

Unless the NP241 is really bad, I'd fix it. It's a better case than the NP208.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2004, 05:45 PM
GotMineCheap

Can i get a set of warn hubs that would normally work on my 86 and install them in place of the autos on my Jimmy, because no, i don't like the things. Seems to me that once you get the actual locking hubs out, everything looks pretty well the same. Did they even offer manual hubs in 1990? If so, i can just buy them and install them. thanks
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2004, 08:58 AM
cool2see

I had manual locking hubs on my 90 blazer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode