Roll Cage - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 11:20 PM
joblope

Roll Cage

So I finally got a pipe bender, and I have the other tools neccessary to build a roll cage. I've read about building them, and what I've read is that for the cage to be effective, I should connect it to the frame of my Blazer. Have any of you guys built a cage before or does anyone have plans? I've also read that you can weld it to the body but the panels seem to be thin to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 12:07 AM

Re: Roll Cage

Umm, I hope by "pipe bender" you mean tube bender because pipe benders aren't made to bend tubing and pipe is for plumbing, not for saving your life.

Anyway, heres my cage design:

Triangulation is your friend in cage design. If your going to mount it to the frame use large, at least 6"x6", plates at the floor and weld the cage to those. Then bolts those to the floor with 4 bolts each. If your welding to the frame make sure you attache your seats to the cage so if the body comes loose in a roll you don't get smooshed between the cage and seat.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 01:56 PM
joblope

Yea, it is a tube bender, I wondered if there was a difference. Did you mean if I'm attaching the cage to the inside body (as opposed to the frame) use 6x6 plates? That is what I understood. I tend to think that the body might work. I want it for protection, I'm not out there rock crawling. I just want it for protection when I have the top off. Also, how did you make the picture. I've been looking for computer programs that can help figure out angles, and what the final project will look like.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 04:29 PM

willy there is an autocadd man. i prefer unigraphics, but thats just because thats waht we were trained on for the mechanical engineering department. either way you can do some wicked stuff.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 12:19 AM
joblope

So I looked at unigraphics and autocad. How hard are these to use? I'm not an engineer. I'm a graduate student. I saw that I could get a 30 trial on autocad, but I don't know if it is worth it if it is impossible to use.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 10:20 AM

well i personally think unigraphics is easier to use but thats just becasue i have more experience with it. jason thinks autocadd is easier...he has more experience with that. for building simple stuff lik a roll cage, it probably is easier in cadd. and you cant beat free.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 12:05 PM

Actually, AutoCad is one of the hardest ones to learn supposedly. I have no idea since I've been teaching myself how to use it for 13 years so I kind of grew up with it. But in the classes at school people have a heck of a time trying to learn it...

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 04:54 PM
Way Outta Control

Think about it - your seats are bolted to the body.
Your belts are attached to the body.
YOU are inside the body.

Now go look in a junkyard - notice how many bodies separated from the frame in a crash - broken body mounts - a few 5/16 bolts hold them together - very few.

Now think about your frame separating by a few inches, body lifting up on the frame.
Think about where the overhead bars go if they are attached to the frame ----

They make gopher traps just like that!!!

What you want is a nice safety capsule you stay in - if frame, engine/tranny etc - everything else - goes bouncing in the other direction so what? You are still alive.

Done wrong, safety equipment is a weapon!

post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 10:55 PM
Resurrection_Joe

If you make a proper subframe and actually sandwhich the body with the cage, you shouldn't have any problem.

If you're not using a prebent cage or the like though, it's simple enough to mount everything to the cage, so why not?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2004, 12:42 PM
Way Outta Control

Quite true - a subframe. Trouble is most folks just punch the downbars through the floor to the frame. They seal the hole with carpet, duct tape or whatever.
Then they tie their shoulder harness to the cage behind them, and the lap belt to the floor.
In a rollover, even if the body mounts hold, the entire thing flexes - the shoulder harness pulls down an inch or so - or more.
Guess what happens to their spine when it's compressed an inch?
If the downbars are tied together with straps or rails between them right along the floor, at least in the front, the body stays with the frame.

Closed body/solid body cars, like NASCAR you'll find the cage is entirely inside the body - and they often tie into the frame - the cage cannot get away from the body since it's trapped inside the body.

But on open topped, or glass topped vehicles it presents a different problem - the body can get away from the frame.

Another safety issue - belts -- 4 point shoulder belts are dangerous - they need the 5th belt, the submarine belt to be safe. What happens with a 4 point in a rollover or crash the shoulder belts restrain your body, but pull up on the lap belt as you go into them. The lap belt gets pulled up above your hips into your soft belly. Your soft belly will sustain all kinds of internal injuries - often fatal.
The single cross strap in stock vehicles doesn't attach to the lap belt in the middle, so it doesn't pull up.
Yes, hooking the sub belt on a 5 point is a pain, but lying in the hospital is worse.

Safety equipment can certainly kill you - like getting hit in the head with your fire extinguisher.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode