700R4 in a 78 Chevy - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2004, 06:07 AM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

700R4 in a 78 Chevy

Asking for my buddy. He's got a 78 Heavy Half (well, we know it's a Heavy Half but the year is debateable with all the parts in it) that was originally a SM465/NP205 truck. After many problems with the 465 it's now a TH350 truck.....with what we THINK is a NP203. I'm actually 3 hours away from him now so I can't verify what it is. It's got 4.56's in it with 35's so he's looking at getting an OD tranny in there to get the RPM's down some.

What needs to be replaced?

What should convert between the two of them?

What do we need in total?

This is Michigan so if we look hard enough we can probably find an entire donor truck without looking too hard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2004, 11:48 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: 700R4 in a 78 Chevy

Hey Drew, i think the 700 and 350 had the same adapter patern so you should be able to do it with only moving the crossmember, if that is even needed. I don't know it the output shafts are the same for the 700 4X4 version and the 350 4X4 version, but a tranny shop or maybe someone on CK5 could help oyu out on that.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2004, 05:44 AM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

Eh, he's ran into some financial difficulties so he's probably just going to rebuild the TH350. Unfortunately it's probably down for the summer now.

I did tell him with the 4.56's and nonOD tranny that means he should probably go to 38's to keep from spinning high rpms! [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2004, 11:02 AM
triplejracing

the two tranny's are pretty much the same so it shouldn't be to hard to swap. with 35's and 4.56's it should be just about right though,I am running 35's with 3.08's and wish I had those 4.56's....if he wants to do a little swapping let me know [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] other than that going to 38's isn't a bad idea either [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode