Another starting issue - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 09:49 AM
David_Dean

Another starting issue

Engine wont turn over when hot.

Here's a little history. 83 K5 Blazer The truck had a 350 with headers in it for 3 years and I never had any starting problems even when doing slow trail rides. Then all of a sudden it developed the traditional header heat/hot starter problems. Let the motor cool down and it would fire. Well now I have a rebuilt 454 with the stock exhaust manifolds which is not even close to the starter and I am having the same problem. When I turn the motor off it will fire up immediately. If I let it sit it wont turn over. No clicking, nothing. The same thing as when the 350 was in it.

Here's what I have done so far. It has a new starter and all new wiring to the starter from the fuse block and alternator. All connections have been soldered and are of the correct gauge. All the wires have been placed in new conduit. There is no corrosion on the + lead from the battery to the starter on either end. Although the cable looks new it is about 5 years old.

There is no starter relay that I can find in the engine compartment. I am about to change out the ignition switch that is mounted on the steering column under the dash but thought I would seek suggestions first.

Any ideas? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 10:58 AM
Can't Get Enough

Re: Another starting issue

I had the same kind of thing happen in my S10 a few years ago. The battery wasn't putting out enough juice.
You may want to put a volt meter to it and see what its putting out, or run it by Autozone for them to check.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 11:25 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Try putting power directly to the purple wire (start wire) down at the starter solenoid. If it starts then you aren't getting enough voltage down to the starter. To prove it, put a voltmeter down on that purple wire at the solenoid and see what the voltage is when you try to start it.

I suggest putting in a relay on the firewall that pulls power directly from the battery. This way the ignition switch is only being used to send a signal to close the relay (about 200ma) instead of trying to energize the solenoid (4-8amps).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 01:47 PM
David_Dean

Thanks guys. I'll give'em a shot and see what happens. This'll be easier than replacing the switch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode