My new K5 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

My new K5

I bought a 79K5 for $218 after tax and title. Originally I was going to fix it (blown front seal on the transmission) but it's got too many problems for me to piss with. It would've made a nice trail rig.

With it came a complete set of accessories and brackets, two sets of front shafts, a set of Warn standard hubs, bearing hubs and calipers, 8 beauty rings, a known good TH350 to replace the bad one, and a bunch of other [bleep].

4" front springs of unknown make (but they say Made in Canada on them), rear blocks, welded 10 bolt front, some kind of traction device in the 12 bolt rear, 350/th350/np203.

I'm going to part it out and then cut it up.

All of the pictures are here.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 10:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: My new K5

score! Can't beat that kind of a deal.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 11:51 PM

sweet find, how would you sell a set of hubs and a/c compreser for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

Yeah, the crap I found in it was worth $200. I found a set of stock drive flanges, Warn standard hubs, bearing hubs with nearly new rotors on them, $40 worth of fluids and cleaners never used, fuses, maglite flashlight, new fire extinguisher, moonvisor, and new torx socket set.

I also got two trash bags worth of crap out of it.

I pretty much bought it for the spare parts that I knew it had: all the motor accessories and brackets, two sets of front axleshafts, one 10 bolt carrier, two calipers, and two caliper backing plates.

If I could sell some of that stuff to recoup my money that'd be nice. I still have to buy tires for my truck here pretty quick.

The funny part is that they guy I bought it off (one of my friends) originally wanted $600 for it. But that was before the transmission took a [bleep] and it sat at someone else's house for the winter. You should've seen us winch that thing out. It was in snow up to the hood with around 1000lbs of snow on the roof.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

The compressor is the long style. If you want it you can have it if you come and get it.

As far as hubs, do you mean the lockouts or the bearing hubs? The bearing hubs probably aren't worth shipping because they weigh so much. You can probably find them at the junkyard cheaper.

As far as lockouts, I could probably be persuaded to give up the Mile Marker "street master" ones that are on it. I'm no fan of 3/4 turn hubs. I like the antique Warn quarter turn ones. I don't think they have much use on them since the transmission took a dump before he ever got a chance to go wheelin' and before that it had drive flanges.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2004, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

I've got it all cleaned out now.

I rebuilt the Edelbrock 1406 that had been rebuilt before but the person that rebuilt it didn't know what was he was doing. It cost me $5 for some gaskets. Total cost of ownership is now up to $225.

It's running now and moving under its own power. It pisses ATF like it's trying to mimic the Mississippi.

I really need to get my money back out of it and no one seems to be in a parts buying mood. I'm contemplating fixing the transmission and seeing if I can sell it whole.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2004, 08:13 PM

Did you drive it at all?? How does it ride?? If the ride was't too terribly bad, and you want to sell the front springs, I'm interested!!!! Need some springs for the 97 SAS.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2004, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

I "drove" it enough to back it up the yard, turn it around doing a 800 point turn due to the spool and govlock, and try to get it to sit still because the shift linkage is all monkeyed up.

It didn't seem any more rigid than my BDS springs on my truck but it also doesn't have front shocks or a swaybar. The springs say "Made in Canada" on them but I don't know who the manufacturer is.

If I part it out, I'll keep you in mind. I suspect the shipping would kind of not make it worth it for you.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2004, 01:43 AM

i meen the lock outs, but i kinda got in to a pintch and blew mt tax reter the day after i got it si i dont think i could aford eneything now, i got my self in to to mutch on my truck allredey thanks

post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2004, 02:32 AM
Resurrection_Joe

Need some lockouts? I have some warn standard internal mounts for a D44.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode