running hot - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 12:57 AM Thread Starter

running hot

my truck seems to relley run hot like 220, its a 454 with a cam headers, intake, 750 carb, domed pistons bored 30 over thats baout all i know, i dident bild it but i put a 165 t-stat in it and 2 12in. flexlite elctric fans, it has a 3 or 4 core big desel rateator in it and has a small leak now and all i can find in town for used radeators is smaller 3 core ones

im just not shure thay could keep it coolenufe, i have flushed it 2 times and nothing grimey came out but is thare a way to check if its parsheley pluged?

im not shure if the temp. gage is acuret eather its from a desel would that mater?

iv heard that if you take out the t-stat that it may not run right should i not try that

thanks for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 12:38 PM
gregmgm

Re: running hot

Do the fans come on before it really heats up, or at a higher temp, like the 220 it gets to. If not, they might not be adjusted correctly. I have Flex-a-lite fans, and know they can be adjusted easily. With those fans, and a 3-4 row rad, it shouldnt run hot. Then again, if the gauge isnt working right, then that's another thing. Also could be air in the cooling system. Some guys drill a 1/8" hole in the thermostat flange, allowing air to exit from behind the thermo easily when filling with coolant. I havent tried this yet, but seems like a good idea. Dont run it without a thermostat. If all else fails, a local radiator shop should be able to help track the problem. Its hard to read your posts with the bad spelling. Maybe you could pickup a spelling book or something- -not trying to be mean, just helpful. Greg
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 04:36 PM
Can't Get Enough

Does the heater blow hot air? If not, it may indicate that coolant is not moving through the system.
I also say it is a bad idea to remove the thermostat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 04:37 PM

make sure you do have the coolant full. as stated above, make sure the fans are coming on. you should not be having this prblem if the system is working right.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 01:28 AM Thread Starter

ok ill keep the t stat in, the fans are on a switch so when ever i have the truck running i turn them on, the antifreese is full, thare could be an air pocket but iv flushed it twice and had it for about 2 years and its allways been like this

mabey i should try a new temp. sensor and gage but i think mine is acurit
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 10:01 AM
David_Dean

The 165 thermostat seems a little low (I'm running a 180)and you mentioned that you thought the temperature gauge might be from a diesel. Temperature gauges and sending units are a matched item and are based off of the amount of ohms. You may not actually be overheating but be getting an incorrect reading. Check at you parts dealer to see if the part numbers are the same for the temp sending unit and gauges for the diesel and gas engines. Engines that are bored over generally tend to run a little hotter but it can be managed with a good coolant system.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 10:43 AM
Way Outta Control

Small leak? On the suction side? Pulls air in every time you run it - causing hot spots.
Collapsing lower hose under acceleration? -- suction side.
Inaccurate gauge?
Changing the T-stat to lower or higher temps have no affect on cooling after they open at their specified temp.

Timing advance - too much, or not enough will cause overheating - make sure it DOES NOT EXCEED 35 DEGREES TOTAL AT 3000 RPM.
Too lean?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2004, 11:12 PM
Enthusiast

Running without a t-stat will actually make various parts of your engine run way too hot. In tests they have done using thermocouples installed all over the place, found engines run hotter without the thermostats. Various quench areas, for whatever reason, do not circulate coolant properly and this results in higher temps.

Good Luck,

Jim
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 06:56 PM
77BIGRED

I am having the same problem. I've got a 454 .30 over w/headers, msd ignition, 750 edlebrock carb, edlebrock intake, 4 core radiator, 160 thermostat & a 16" electric fan. Its fine while moving but at idle it it hits 230 fast. I usually turn the fan on at 180. I am going to try adding another 16" fan.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 07:12 PM
gregmgm

77 big red- For sure you need more fan coverage. If you drive, and it cools down, then it needs more fan coverage at idle. I have a 78 454, and went with a Flex a lite twin fan. Expensive, but works great. Make sure you cover most of the rad with the fan arrangement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode