odd starting issue - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2004, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

odd starting issue

I've been having an odd problem with starting my 87 burb. If its been sitting overnight or for longer than a few hours it will have to crank for a while before it starts and when its raining or snowing its really bad. Sometimes it will take two or three tries of long cranking (10-15 secs) before it starts and when it does it will often run really rough for the first 20 seconds or so. I thought it may be a spark issue due to it happening mostly in wet weather but after replacing the cap, rotor and wires it still does it. The cap and rotor were pretty corroded so I'm glad I did em anyway but now I'm thinking the starting issue may be fuel related? Originally it seemed to be getting gas because when it would finally catch there would be a cloud of smoke like it was flooded but now I'm not sure? I'm thinking I'll put on a new coil and fuel filter just in case but is there anything else I should check out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 02:15 AM

Re: odd starting issue

may have goten bad gass, sometimes whe get a litel moisture in are gass hear or it may be coming in fom someplace elts, i supose it could be a relley pluged air filter ot choke sticking
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 12:19 PM
gregmgm

If your burb has a carb, I'd say the choke is too rich- easy to adjust. If its injected, then maybe an injector is bad. My 78 did the same thing, and readjusting the choke was all it took. Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Its a TBI motor and the injectors are pretty new, I'm starting to think it is losing fuel in the line after sitting for a while its bleeding back to the tank? Maybe the fuel pressure regulator? I picked up a new filter to put on after it stops snowing again, I'll see if that helps at all.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 07:12 PM
Way Outta Control

Lots of cranking when real cold after sitting awhile? Not a vehicle problem - procudure problem - you.

Your fuel pump is in the tank. When you first get in, turn the key on but don't crank - wait about 10 seconds for the poor cold pump to have a chance to pressurize the fuel system. While it's cranking the pump doesn't pump.

It may not have done it as brand new, older pumps are slower, especially cold.

Stand to the side and carefully listen - you can hear the pump run for a few seconds. It stops when pressure's up, or when a preset time is reached. It doesn't start running again until the engine starts and you have tach pulses.
Reason is to prevent flooding and or filling a cylinder with fuel accidentally.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Actually I fixed it yesterday, it was the fuel pump relay. It wouldn't turn on the pump when the key was first turned on but after cranking for a bit the fuel pump would get power through the backup system, the oil pressure switch. So when oil pressure would build the pump would come on. I put in a new relay and the pump is now being triggered by the key too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode