Recent modifications (dialup be skeered) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2004, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

Recent modifications (dialup be skeered)

I finished up my onboard air except for the pressure switch to turn it on and off. The compressor gets the job done but that's about it. I'm contemplating going to dual compressors. The hose is a 50' self-coiling one that fits inside of a piece of 4" PVC. It's sealed on one end and has a removable cap on the other end. You can see the white cap in the picture below.

Here is my tank mounted:

My Dad built and installed my front receiver. It's a butchered one out of a Toronado or something. I forget. I don't know how strong it is but I lifted my truck up with it using my Hi-Lift. It is higher than the bottom of the towhooks and even with the leading edge of the towhooks. The problem with it is that I could get hung up on a rock or log between the back of the receiver and the springs. That'd suck.

I wired in my electric line locks. I'm not entirely happy with them since they're unidirectional. IE: you can force fluid past them when engaged.

I wired in for a winch front and rear using 350 amp connectors and 2/0 wire. I'm not entirely happy with the setup but it'll work. Yes, they've got dust covers. No, I didn't silicone the end the cable comes out of. I'm not sure if I'm going to keep this setup (wire is a bit small, I'd like to have 3/0) so I didn't want more crap to clean up.

Front (either pass the winch end up through between the fan and crossmember or through unlatched hood):

Rear (will eventually be affixed to the post but the wire is a bit stiff in the cold weather):

Multimount winch plate. It's made out of a 8"x14" piece of 1/2" plate. It's got 2.5" 3/16" thick angle iron on it. The tube is 3/16" thick. They didn't have any 1/4" when I bought the steel and I didn't think I'd like to carry around solid 2" squarestock. The weak point is the 5/8" hole. It'll have handles once I choose which winch I'm going to buy.

Ashtray bling. I put two holes in my dash for 12VDC cigarette lighter outlets.
The switch on the right is for the line locks. Down it only activates the rear one. Up it activates both front and rear. Center off.
The top pushbutton is for my air compressor. It lights up.
The middle pushbutton is for my idle bump stop solenoid. It's used so I can bump up the idle so the alternator puts out peak. It lights up.
The bottom pushbutton is for the Furd solenoid that directly connects the two batteries together, bypassing the battery isolator. Yes, it lights up when it's on also.
Yeap, there's room for more [bleep] in the ashtray.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2004, 06:29 PM

Re: Recent modifications (dialup be skeered)

Looks good Wrath, I really like the ashtray, that would be a good way of keeping my dash clean looking. Before I put anymore switchs in.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 11:50 AM

Do you have a wiring diagram for the dual batteries and the ford soleniod? If you did I could really use it.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

Actually, yes I do. I made one up for CK5 a couple months ago.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

Yeah, my dash looks like ass. The PO had a plow on the truck and there were tons of holes in it for the controls and lights. Then I drilled two new holes above your left knee. I've got three switches over there. One is for the electric fans and the other two are for the fuel tanks and pump.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 01:36 PM

I already have 2 batteries and they are mounted in series. From your diagram it looks like I only need a solieniod in line between them. Is this correct? I have 0 guage cable connecting the batteries. Would this be a problem with the Ford part? Also when you say continuous duty, does this mean that both batteries should not really be run together for a long time? Thanks for the help.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

Series = 24v... so you're running 24v?

The coil in a Furd solenoid isn't rated for continuous duty. That means it isn't designed to always be activated. One from a golfcart (which looks identical) have different coils in them.

The batteries don't really care if they're in parallel.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 11:27 AM

Ok so they are in parllel. Would I be better off using one from a golf cart? When you say not continous how long can they run for. You would have to have it connected to charge the battery. What if that took awhile?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

I thought you had a battery isolator?

Anyway, I think Furd ones only have a 15% duty cycle. That means for every 15 seconds on they need to be off for 100 seconds. They also have a limited "on" time.

I ran mine for 15 minutes and it got warmer than ambient. But that's with no current going through it. I suspect with current running through the contacts it'd heat up more.

Another option is that some of GM's diesels had these starter solenoids between the batteries and sometimes they had them for the glow plugs. I suspect it'd be cheaper to buy one for a golfcart though.

I think I paid $4 for my Furd starter solenoid. Since I'm not relying on mine to do anything other than winch me out and worst case I can bypass it I don't really care if it burns out.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2004, 09:12 PM
Resurrection_Joe

Some nice work there man

Did you get the MME12K winch or am I remebering wrong?

I have the same winch setup, aftermarket cradle though

Some nice work with the ash tray too, wiring thats beyond my experince yet

Let me know how the line locks work out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode