Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's (https://forums.off-road.com/gm-standard-sfa-trucks-suvs/)
-   -   Just Starting (https://forums.off-road.com/gm-standard-sfa-trucks-suvs/187093-just-starting.html)

chevyrandel 02-16-2004 07:46 PM

Just Starting

Hey guys, recently wrecked my car, so I'm in the market for a new one. I have some experiance with offroad, but I am still no expert. My options in my head are if I should go with either SFA or IFS? And if within in that, a truck or a blazer? The only thing i do not like about the newwe blazers, is there ability to clear very big tires. As far as I know a 6" lift will be able to clear 33's, and I am really looking for atleast 35's. I will be able to find an SFA truck or blazer for alittle cheaper and will be able to easily find one that has already been lifted. I also like the looks alot better or '87 and older trucks. So this is where I am leaning, but I'm sure you guys know alot more than me, so tell me what you think. I am very open at this point.

u4ia4 02-16-2004 07:55 PM

Re: Just Starting

you gonna be off-ropading hard or mainly a daily driver? the SFA is without a doubt stronger. and simpler. the IFs isnt too bad up until 35" tires...then you can get into breakage if you're hard on it or put in a locker. so let us know what you'll be doing with it and we'll be able to help ya out a bit more

chevyrandel 02-16-2004 08:03 PM

Well, i live out in kansas. So it will be seeing, I would say moderate abuse as far as off-roading, but no rock crawling or anthing like that. And yea, it is going to have to be a daily driver, but gas mpg isn't too big of a priority.

u4ia4 02-16-2004 09:01 PM

well if milage isnt too big of a concern, I'd get an SFA model because most of themare carbed....and that makes them easierfor the shade-tree mechanic to work on. simpler design that is easier and cheaper to maintain. insirance is cheaper for them. and you're in an area where rust isnt too big of a concern. i'd vote SFA in your position. good luck buddy

c_rock 02-17-2004 08:48 AM

The choice between a truck or blazer is totally up to you. If you get a blazer, I'd go with a 88 - 91. They still have the old body style, and you get the TBI. They also have some drivetrain improvements.
For a pickup, I'd look for a 3/4-ton. Overall a bit more durable than the 1/2-ton.