1990 Blazer front brake disc change anybody? Help! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2004, 03:06 PM
rr4406pak

1990 Blazer front brake disc change anybody? Help!

I have a 1990 full size Chevy Blazer 4x4 that needs the front rotors changed. Has anyone done this before? Do I have to take the front hubs apart? Do I just take the calipers off and I can slide the old rotors off? Or is the process more involved? I've changed many front rotors on cars but never on a 4x4 truck.

Thanks in advance!
Keith
marion, NY
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1262268-captianamerica.jpg (2.1 KB, 32 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2004, 10:39 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: 1990 Blazer front brake disc change anybody? Help!

Go buy a manual.

You have to disassemble the front hubs and remove the hubs from the truck. You then press out the studs then press off the rotor. The rotor is on the back side of the hubs.

It's an hour job per side if you've done it before. It could take all day if the rotors have never been changed.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2004, 08:51 AM
rr4406pak

Re: 1990 Blazer front brake disc change anybody? H

Thanks for the info! That is what I needed to know.
I had hoped that it was not that involved. My garage has collapsed due to the snow so I would have to change them outside in my snow filled, ice ridden driveway. If it was a simple swap I could do it outside but I think this would be too much. I have the parts but it looks like I'll have to take it to a garage for the labor. I wonder how much they will charge me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2004, 09:00 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

It's not a bad job when the weather is nice. But when it's cold out it isn't much fun. And I know what it's like to work on my truck when it's cold out...

You could take it to one of those fast brake shops and see how much they'll charge you. It'll probably be around $120+parts if I had to guess and then they'll try to charge you more because they didn't know it was so labor intensive. Most people have never done the work before because those axles were out of production when most of those grease monkeys were still in gradeschool.

It's a chore to do if you don't normally do it. You've got a lot of work to disassemble and reassemble the hubs. I know people that can change axleshafts in 35 minutes so I know it can be done fast, but most people aren't that fast. It takes me about an hour by the time I take it apart, clean all the parts, change the large seal, grease it up, and reassemble.

I'd call around then get a written, formal, estimate. That way they can't take you to the cleaners.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2004, 10:45 AM
rr4406pak

Well, I had to take the Blazer into a garage to get the rotors and pads changed. Cost me about $70 a side. They also fixed a rusted leaky fuel line, changed one of my high beam headlights and gave me a new inspection sticker all for $167 including tax.
New brakes are great! I just touch the brake pedal and wham! I'm stopped! Awesome!
But unfortunately the truck now skips and backfires when I put my foot into it going up steep hills. You can read about this new problem in new post titled -> "1990 Blazer backfire at high speeds???" and try to help me out!

Thanks again!
Keith
Marion, NY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode