Suburban 87-91 Purchase Questions... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2004, 01:08 PM
ryanmc01

Suburban 87-91 Purchase Questions...

I am looking at buying an 87-91 Suburban soon. First thought is getting a 350TBI with AT. Is the diesel version even worth looking at? I saw another post that mentioned the injector pump being a problem.

Does anyone know of things that I should look out for? What common problem areas should I closely check when looking at vehicles?

Any information to help me make the best choice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

--Ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2004, 01:39 PM

Re: Suburban 87-91 Purchase Questions...

No doubt in my mind, i'd look for a 3/4 ton (2500). Lots of things are stronger, and will last you longer, especially if you lift it. I'd also look for one with the factory tow package, I know those got a tranny cooler, and i think they got a larger radiator.

The deisel's are pretty gutless, but do get better mileage i think. I'd get a 350, or a 454. Stock, unloaded, the 350 will get better mileage, but if you tow a lot or lift it, the 454 won't have to work as hard, and i've heard of them getting comparable or better mileage than the 350.

90/91 got rear wheel anti-lock. 89 Got the new, exclusive to the blazers and burbs, grill.

The 700r4 auto tranny is notorious for just going out all of a sudden, so if it has high miles, and hasn't been replaced, listen carefully on teh test drive to how it shifts.

Not to turn you away from this board (because most members here post over on CK5 too), but Coloradok5.com has a burb specific form. They may have some other things to look for.

I want an 89-91 too, so I'm jealous [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2004, 05:38 PM
Can't Get Enough

I'm happy with my 89 Suburban, with 199,089 miles on the odometer.
3/4 ton is better, because it doesn't use 10-bolt axles, but it also depends on how hard you wheel. I haven't had any problems with mine.
I'd say skip the diesel and go with a 350, unless you need to tow, then go with the 454. The big block wasn't available in the 1/2-ton models.
Look at the bottom rear corner of the back side windows for rust. This seems to be a common place for it.
Mine has the barn doors, which I happen to like better than the tailgate. Its all preference.
If you are planning on hauling the family around in the summer, get rear A/C. There's a lot of square footage to cool inside.
I'll be happy to answer any other questions you may have, so fire away!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2004, 01:44 PM

Unfortuneally, 3/4 ton burbs and pickups got 10 bolts in the front too.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2004, 06:49 PM

Better to have a real axle in the rear with the 3/4 ton either way though.....front can always be swapped for a d60 [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode