454 oiling - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2004, 02:13 AM Thread Starter

454 oiling

ok i know this is stupid but i have a 454 fron a 82 to 84 suberben in my truck and i was just wondering if 3 galons of oil sounds right for it?

its been completley rebilt cam pistons bored intake exost but i dident bild it so i dont know if the oil pan is stock, its a steal pan and it has a after market dipstick that was marked for whare the oil should be

it just seems like a lot of oil to me, iv been running it for about 2 years like that and it has seemed fine, has a rear main leak but no big deal

the other thing is it was swaped in to a 84 chevey desel and at hot low idel the oil presher is arownd 40 psi it idels low arownd 500 to 700 rpm cus of the cam and high compreshon pistons then when driving it gos up to about 80 psi, is this normel? could it be a difrent oil presher sensor or gage giving me wrong readings from the desel truck or thay may have put a high flow oil punp in?

eney help would be gratley apresheated

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2004, 10:52 AM

Re: 454 oiling

454 usually takes 7 quarts. I would try that and then check the level. Have you put on a larger pan? If so get the cap. of that.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2004, 11:39 AM

if the oil pan from the diesel was used then yes it sounds about right. diesels take much more oul that gasoline engines. if it is teh stock oil pan then 7 quarts is about right.
as for the oil p[ressure. yes, when the engine is hot, the pressure will be lower. and when you accelerate the pressure will build up. mine is about 30psi idle and 65psi driving.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2004, 12:11 AM Thread Starter

cool thanks for the help, i never thought of them mabey puting the desel oil pan on it but that would make sence

thanks agen
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2004, 09:33 AM
lebowski

Alcohol Engineer,
Will the diesel oil pan swap onto a 454? I've never heard of this, so just wondering is this doable. I'm asking because I have a 454 in my Suburban also.

Thanks
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2004, 04:56 PM

i dont know if itsw possible or not. the best way to gfind out is to PM a guy on the IFS board named krayzie. he has GM dealer pictures for just about everything. one could match up the bolt holes and see if its do-able. i dont know from any type of experience though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode