Manuel Trannies for 350 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 05:46 PM
BSR

Manuel Trannies for 350

Hey,
I was wondering what the best manuels you could get for a 350 is. I want to swap out an auto.
Thanks a Bunch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 06:26 PM

Re: Manuel Trannies for 350

Best? As in strongest? The 1 tons (maybe 3/4 too) got the NV4500, which i think is the strongest of the 5 speeds. The 1/2 tons got the Sm465 (something like that). Hope this helps!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 07:10 PM
Can't Get Enough

I'm partial to the NV4500. The older ones (mid-90's) have something like a 6:1 first gear ratio.
They're pretty darn tough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2004, 07:58 PM
BSR

Thanks a bunch! I probably should have known that but i forgot. I will look into those trannies if i get the truck i want. Thanks Again [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
[img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2004, 08:28 PM
BSR

I'm thinkin I should get an sm465 because it is cheaper and it seems if I get one of the same year as the pickup I'm getting it should swap right in. Is this true?
[img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2004, 04:56 PM
crazy4offroading

I have an SM 465 in my 78 with 350 and it's one solid trans. My only gripe is it falls out of third alot, so I have to drive with one hand on the shifter anytime its in third. But put 'er in 4-Lo granny 1st and it'll pull anything. A tree fell on my truck (no heavy damage incurred) and after I cut it up I pulled the stump out of the ground. Hillbilly in the city, if you can imagine. Next thing I know two other neighbors had cut trees down and asked me to pull the stumps. Theres not many transmissions, let alone trucks, that can take the sudden jarring of something like that. But technically I would consider it a 3-speed granny low. I always take off in second. The NV4500 will set you back about a grand, and its made out of cast aluminum housing. First thing I hear of goin out on them is either 5th or reverse. Plus you have the whole hydrolic clutch issue. I think I'll keep the SM 465 in the 'Big Truck' and leave the 5 speed in my daily-driver 'Toy Truck'. [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode