Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's (https://forums.off-road.com/gm-standard-sfa-trucks-suvs/)
-   -   Manuel Trannies for 350 (https://forums.off-road.com/gm-standard-sfa-trucks-suvs/186535-manuel-trannies-350-a.html)

BSR 02-08-2004 05:46 PM

Manuel Trannies for 350

Hey,
I was wondering what the best manuels you could get for a 350 is. I want to swap out an auto.
Thanks a Bunch

dhcomp 02-08-2004 06:26 PM

Re: Manuel Trannies for 350

Best? As in strongest? The 1 tons (maybe 3/4 too) got the NV4500, which i think is the strongest of the 5 speeds. The 1/2 tons got the Sm465 (something like that). Hope this helps!

c_rock 02-08-2004 07:10 PM

I'm partial to the NV4500. The older ones (mid-90's) have something like a 6:1 first gear ratio.
They're pretty darn tough.

BSR 02-09-2004 07:58 PM

Thanks a bunch! I probably should have known that but i forgot. I will look into those trannies if i get the truck i want. Thanks Again [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
[img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]

BSR 02-09-2004 08:28 PM

I'm thinkin I should get an sm465 because it is cheaper and it seems if I get one of the same year as the pickup I'm getting it should swap right in. Is this true?
[img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

crazy4offroading 02-10-2004 04:56 PM

I have an SM 465 in my 78 with 350 and it's one solid trans. My only gripe is it falls out of third alot, so I have to drive with one hand on the shifter anytime its in third. But put 'er in 4-Lo granny 1st and it'll pull anything. A tree fell on my truck (no heavy damage incurred) and after I cut it up I pulled the stump out of the ground. Hillbilly in the city, if you can imagine. Next thing I know two other neighbors had cut trees down and asked me to pull the stumps. Theres not many transmissions, let alone trucks, that can take the sudden jarring of something like that. But technically I would consider it a 3-speed granny low. I always take off in second. The NV4500 will set you back about a grand, and its made out of cast aluminum housing. First thing I hear of goin out on them is either 5th or reverse. Plus you have the whole hydrolic clutch issue. I think I'll keep the SM 465 in the 'Big Truck' and leave the 5 speed in my daily-driver 'Toy Truck'. [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]