Need Advice - Headers & Exhaust - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2004, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Need Advice - Headers & Exhaust

Alright guys, I'm sorry for posting so much about this, I just want to make sure I'm spending my money wisely.
I'm going to go with headers and dual exhaust. For headers, Dynomax ceramic coated $230 from Summit.
Exhaust, $425 downtown. It includes 2 1/4" pipes, turbo mufflers and high-flow cat's.
The muffler man said I could get painted headers, let the paint burn off, then paint them with a high-temp paint.

What do you all think, and do you have any recommendations for me before I drop $700+/-?

Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-01-2004, 11:13 AM

Re: Need Advice - Headers & Exhaust

All header paint will burn off, some just last a little longer than others, also the ceramics will help give better flow (by keeping the exhaust gas hot), while keeping the engine compartment cooler. If you've got the money, ceramics will look AND perform better.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-01-2004, 12:48 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

I spent $400 total on my exhaust. I bought Hooker Competition headers and their plumbing kit and Dynomax mufflers. I never ran the mufflers as I bought the wrong size so I used some el-cheapo Advance Auto parts ones for $19.99.

I think it's amazing if you can get headers to last longer than two winters. My headers are on their second winter and I think they'll still outlive the plumbing. Our winters are a little bit longer than most, we have salt and sand on the roads from the first week of October until the last week of April.

The only coated headers I've seen didn't impress me too much. If you dropped a wrench on them they didn't like it much nor did they like you scraping them on the frame while you're installing them. Plus, our trucks, rocks can hit them because of how they hang down. I'm not talking about boulders, I'm talking about rocks coming out of peoples tires going down the highway. I'm certain coating has gotten better but I'd rather buy new headers every 3 years for $150 than spend $500 on headers that last 5-6 years.

Next time I'd have someone custom install my plumbing. The Hooker kit was good for a street truck but it doesn't work too well offroad. Plus, it seems to be made of really crappy metal compared to the headers.

Here is how my headers hang down:
http://www.wrath.com/projects/vehicl...underneath.JPG

I ended up cutting my tailpipes off because of running them over with the rear tire:
http://www.wrath.com/projects/vehicl...rearpinion.jpg

You can see the tailpipe mangled here:
http://www.wrath.com/projects/vehicl...ttailpipe2.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-01-2004, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Thanks guys. I ended up ordering ceramic coated Dynomax headers for about $225; they should be here tomorrow.
The muffler guy will put in dual exhaust, with a cat and muffler for each side for about $400.
I'm going to have them dump underneath somewhere.

With any luck, all will be said and done by next weekend.

More to follow......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode