tiers lift and diff - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 02:11 AM Thread Starter

tiers lift and diff

i just ordered some bias 36 tsl swampers, how are theys ont the street?
how do you balance them? golf balls, led shot, bbs?

i ordered a 6 in. lift with rear springs from rough countrey its my first lift and im wodering about drive shaft angels and langths, its a daley driver and no 4x4 shops hear

and last is i have a 14 blot ff with a gov lock it had a open in it and with the cover off and tiers off the grownd you could turn one tier by hand and the other would not turn but the diff would click and you could watch the side gears overrunning a noched pice that meshed with ther teth i opend it up and thare wer no markings to make me think it was eneything after market

i put the open careyer on the flowr and heald it in place and had a freend put an axel shaft in and try to spin it the whole careyer wanted to turn, when i tryed the same thing with the gov lock just the axel would turn not the careyer
is it relley just an open?

id apresheate neey help i could get, thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 11:46 AM

Re: tiers lift and diff

What truck is this going on? Driveline angles and vibration problems have alot to do with wheelbase legnth. Besides that, someone should be able to describe what the gov lock looks like and what the open carrier looks like. It is my understanding that a gov lock needs 1 axle to spin a certain number of times more than teh other before it partially locks them together, so it would be hard to get it to ingage when not driving the truck . Good luck!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 02:55 PM
Addict

a govloc has a govener which is a couple weights on a shaht that spread when they spin to engage the locker .... when one wheel spins faster than the other it causes the govener shaft to spin .. when the difference is enough the locker engages. this is why govlocs tend to break when you hot rod and spin alot on the street as the tire is already spinning and the locker has to "catch" it and stop it from spinning or break the other tire loose from the pavement instantly and that puts alot of pressure on stuff

It sounds like what you have is an easy locker of some kind. in your "turn one wheel" test you didn't say whether the diff was in the truck or not. when you turn one wheel the other wheel OR the driveshaft will turn with an open diff ..... the other wheel AND the driveshaft will turn with possi ...... with an easy locker it depends on the direction that the d-shaft is torqued ie if the d-shaft is trying to turn the wheels forward and one wheel is resisting the other wheel can freewheel forward and overrun the diff usually making a clicking sound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the help gies, i have the gov-lock in my truck now, this other careyer is an open it has the 4 side gears and all that

when i whas turnig the tiers by hand it was in the axel in the truck with bowth tiers off the grownd and the drive shaft off the one tier would spin the other dident just the clicking noise

then i took the careyer out set it on its side on the floor and held on to it i had my freend put a axel shaft in and try to turn the axel and the whole careyer wanted to turn when i tryed to do this with the gov-lock just the axel would turn

hope this helps, i took some pics but if ther no good ill post some more when i can take it apart agen

thank you for your help
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1252332-Mvc-002f.jpg (64.6 KB, 27 views)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

hears another pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1252334-Mvc-003f.jpg (79.0 KB, 35 views)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2004, 03:55 AM
Addict

That's an easy locker!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2004, 08:31 AM

I have the govlok in my 14ff and it doesn't look like that. It is a 3 pin style and no visable side gears. Looks like an open carrier.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2004, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

sweet an easy locker, that should be nice to have the gov lock i have works ok but i just dont trust it id hate to have that brake whale im out

who makes the easy locker?

for the lift qwesgen its a 84 3/4 4wd 454 np208 sm465 2 door long bed with 56 in. rear springs ans a slpi yoke rear drive shaft dana 44 front and 14 bolt ff rear
hope that helps, i should have posted that in the first place but dident even think about it

hope the bise ply tsl tiers arent to bad on the street iv heard evreything from ther tarebel to ther not that bad at all exept for the noise and that dosent bother me, just wondering about balancing them

36/12.5R16.5 think mabey 4 or 5 galf balls per tier?

thanks for all your help gies, this has saved me some head aces
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2004, 03:54 AM
Addict

I personally wouldn't put anything in my tires but air but there are those that put all kinds of stuff in them...... balance them just like any other tire ..... on a tire balancer .... if you want auto balance get centramatics
There are several companies that make similar lockers all they do is replace the side and spider gears in an open diff. Notice in the pic that there are no spiders only sides and the plates they ratchet on
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode