Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's (https://forums.off-road.com/gm-standard-sfa-trucks-suvs/)
-   -   trans/transfer interchange?? (https://forums.off-road.com/gm-standard-sfa-trucks-suvs/185455-trans-transfer-interchange.html)

mdslngr77 01-22-2004 04:34 PM

trans/transfer interchange??

I have a 1977 Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 350engine NP435 trans, 205 case. My trans and transfer are going south on me and I'm contemplating my options. I have a spare 208 case, but I'd lose the durability of the 205 and have to change driveshafts, and still need transm. repairs... My real question is that I have access to a 79 Ford bronco parts truck, 351M-435 trans, 205 trans- will the FORD and Chevy trans/transfers interchange if I use my bellhousing? The mounts look the same, but I can't find any info to tell me yes or no.
Brad [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

b454rat 01-22-2004 06:33 PM

Re: trans/transfer interchange??

You can get adaptors that will make them bolt up, but they won't just bolt up. I never heard of those trans and t cases going south. The trans is a very heavy duty unit, and the 205 doesn't get too much stronger. You sure you don't have other probs?? Clutch, or something in the drivline??

blazinwest 01-22-2004 09:07 PM

no the will not.
the make them just i little different so you cant change them around.
but mainly the front drive shaft is on the wrong side. [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]

gottagofast 01-23-2004 04:18 AM

your 208 will not likely be a direct fit either.

73K20 01-23-2004 08:54 AM

I could be wrong, but i have never heard of a NP 435 in a chevy truck, only SM465's. What characteristics are they giving you that you think they are going out? If you do indeed have a NP 435 transmission I don' know if your spare tranny will swap in or not, but the t-case from the ford definitely will not since it would have a left side 4x4 drop.

mdslngr77 01-23-2004 11:29 AM

I do know it is a 435, synchros and bearings are pretty well shot, this was originally an oil well service truck for years, then was run as a mud bogger, then I got it and use it as my work/camping vehicle (regularly hauls 2+ tons of materials) generally overused and abused and I was just trying to find a cheap swap out option, rather than take the time to tear down, order parts and rebuild, also, I think the transfer shift shafts are worn out as it won't hardly stay in Low range. I can use the 208 because I have compred the adapters and they interchange, and I'm pretty sure the input splines are the same - the 208 is just about 6" inches longer on the rear output side, wich meand I need to shorten/replace my rear shaft.
Thanks for the inputs though- more food for thought.
Brad

gottagofast 01-24-2004 02:39 AM

why not sell the 208 and start shopping for a less abused 435/205 combo and then have a drawing to see which orc member you will donate your old one too. Or just give it to me [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]