Chevy SFA swap - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 07:23 PM
heavychevy1

Chevy SFA swap

Called a shop today and was told for a sfa swap I had to go at least 8-10" of lift for the diff. to clear the oil pan safely.Is this true?? I want to stay w/6" to be legal.Is there anything else I should know about this swap??
THANKS
PETE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 01:43 AM
Addict

Re: Chevy SFA swap

No it is not true. The diff on an ifs is almost touching the pan but the axle shafts go down from there you only need a few inches between the axle and the pan as long as the bumpstops prevent the axle from hitting it. obviously if the pan is only two inches over your pan and you hit a 6 inch speed bump at 60 it WILL hurt. I think 6 inches would be more than enough. check out O.R.U. for all the details. Oh yeah and do a SEARCH as this has been covered lots and lots of times.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 05:51 PM

That might be true for a 2wd putting an axle in it, but not 4wd. I plan on doing a SAS in my 97 with minimal lift, maybe 4" over stock 4wd. For starters, you have to know what axle you want to use. If you want to keep your stock t-case, then you will need a Ford axle. Not cheap. Using a plentiful GM axle, then you have to swap out the t-case for one from an 87-91 Blazer or Suburban. The ORU kit gives you 3" and being my truck is 1 ton ext cab with a BBC, almost any spring I use will settle. I think I'm gonna use 2.5" springs, that will settle to maybe little over and inch. ORU is a good kit, but it's hard to justify $750 when you see the contents of the kit. I got another set from them when they had a "sale" in December, everything they had $100 off, and in the process of making some brackets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 06:17 PM

Hey B454rat, is the brown truck driveable yet?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 06:50 PM

Yeah I finally got it mobile, and with all four wheels. I need to find an open 4:56 carrier so I can install the detroit and spool, and obviously the 4:56s. I need to do some small stuff to it, but I took it out a little bit. Man, this thing is awesome, even with open axles with 3:73s and 40" outdated tires!!! I took two leafs out of the front, it doens't ride too bad, and it flexes better than I thought. I can't stuff the tire in the wheelwell, at least don't think, but then I never tried. The old man bought a digital camera, but something about the software not loading on the computer. or I would have some pics up. It's supposed to warm up (20 degrees warm) this weekend, I'll get a cheapo camera and take some posure shots, and maybe some wheeling pics. It throws the mud pretty good, but all the mud as well as the top 6" of ground is froze solid, so no mud action pics. The hard part is done, just have to fine tune everything, and the small stuff that gets overlooked. I really need to get some CV for both d/s, even in 4wd low you can feel the vibes. I need to tear the front apart and regrease everything, and think havta get a shim for the front, I get alittle wobbling driving down the road.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2004, 09:24 AM
heavychevy1

Thanks 454.Is there anything,or should I say problems I should look out for.Im having a shop do the work.He's going to use a early ford D60 front.The job w/swapping my 14sf for his 14ff,4.56's all round costs $4,500.Any other info for this swap would be greatly appreciated.
THANKS
PETE
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 08:50 AM

where ya are going to heavychevy? theres a reputable shop round the corner here and it never hurts to check your prices when your droppin this much cash.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 06:37 PM

Sounds kinda high for doing that. But then again I'm used to doing everything myself. Bring it up here and I will do it for $4k!!! [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 03:33 PM
heavychevy1

Hi kort, theres a shop in ledgewood called 4x4 custom adventure someone recommended.Went down and talked to them and sound very knowledgeable.I had work done by meadowlands 4x4 b4 and dont like their ways.I have a TM 6" and the last 3 yrs spent over 3,000 in front end related problems and I use the truck for work,hunt,fish,camp.I do not,,do not beat on the truck at all!! And its due for U&L ball joints again.That just helped me make up my mind.If you have any suggestions please let me know. Im in central-northern nj
THANKS
PETE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode